To calculate the area of a room, you need to know (measure or look at the plan) its length and width.
Area is a numerical characteristic of a body or figure, showing the size of this body or figure in the plane of two-dimensional space.
Area calculation formulas:
A is the length
B is the width.
You can quickly perform this simple mathematical operation using our online program. To do this, enter the initial value in the corresponding field and click the button.
This page provides the easiest online room area calculator. Using this one-click calculator, you can calculate the area of a room if its length and width are known.
Order of the Ministry of Economic Development of the Russian Federation of September 30, 2011 No. 531 "On approval of the requirements for determining the area of a building, premises"
In accordance with paragraph 10 of Article 41 of the Federal Law of July 24, 2007 No. 221-ФЗ "On the State Real Estate Cadastre" (Collection of Legislation of the Russian Federation, 2007, No. 31, Art. 4017, 2008, No. 30, Art. 3597, 3616 , 2009, No. 1, Article 19, No. 19, Article 2283, No. 29, Article 3582, No. 52, Article 6410, 6419, 2011, No. 1, Article 47, No. 23, Article 3269, No. 27, Art. 3880, No. 30, Art. 4563, 4594) I order:
To approve the requirements for determining the area of a building, premises according to the application.
|The Minister||E. Nabiullina|
Registered in the Ministry of Justice of the Russian Federation on November 7, 2011.
I. General requirements for the determination of areas
1. The area and total area of a building, premises are defined as the area of a simple geometric figure (rectangle, trapezoid, right-angled triangle, etc.) or by dividing such an object into simple geometric figures and summing up the areas of such figures.
2. The value of the area and the total area of the building, the premises is determined in square meters with rounding to 0.1 square meters, and the values of the measured distances used to determine the area - meters with rounding to 0.01 meters.
3. For premises in buildings constructed according to standard designs from prefabricated prefabricated structures with a typical layout on the floors, it is allowed to determine the areas on the basement, first and standard floor. For subsequent floors, the area can be taken according to the standard, with the exception of rooms in which there are changes in layout.
II. Determination of the area of the building, premises
4. The area of the building is determined as the sum of the areas of all aboveground and underground floors (including technical, attic, basement).
The floor area should be measured within the inner surfaces of the outer walls at a height of 1.1 - 1.3 meters from the floor.
The floor area with inclined exterior walls is measured at floor level.
The area of the building includes the area of mezzanines, galleries and balconies of visual and other halls, verandas, glazed outdoor loggias and galleries.
The area of the building also separately includes the area of open unheated planning elements of the building (including the area of the operated roof, open external galleries, open loggias, etc.).
The area of multi-light rooms, as well as the space between staircases more than the width of the march and openings in ceilings of more than 36 square meters should be included in the area of the building within only one floor.
5. The area of a room is defined as the sum of the areas of all parts of such a room, calculated by their size, measured between the finished surfaces of walls and partitions at a height of 1.1 - 1.3 meters from the floor.
III. Determination of the total area of a dwelling, residential building
6. The total area of a dwelling, a dwelling house consists of the sum of the area of all parts of such a room, a dwelling house, including the area of auxiliary facilities intended to satisfy citizens of household and other needs related to their living in a dwelling, with the exception of balconies, loggias, verandas and terraces.
The area of auxiliary use includes the area of kitchens, corridors, bathtubs, bathrooms, fitted wardrobes, pantries, as well as the area occupied by the inside staircase.
The measurement of the distances used to determine the total area of a dwelling, a residential building, is carried out along the entire perimeter of the walls at a height of 1.1 - 1.3 meters from the floor.
When determining the total area of a dwelling, a residential building, it is necessary to:
- the area of niches with a height of 2 meters or more should be included in the total area of the premises in which they are located. Square arched openings to include in the total area of the premises, starting with a width of 2 meters,
- the floor area under the march of the apartment staircase, with a height of 1.6 meters or more from the floor to the bottom of the protruding structures of the march, to include in the total area of the room in which the staircase is located,
- the area occupied by protruding structural elements and heating furnaces, as well as located within the doorway, should not be included in the total area of the premises.
When determining the total area of the attic floor, the area of this room with a height from the floor to the inclined ceiling is taken into account:
1.5 meters - with a slope of 30 degrees to the horizon,
1.1 meters - at 45 degrees
0.5 meters - at 60 degrees or more.
At intermediate values, the height is determined by interpolation.
Order of the Ministry of Economic Development of the Russian Federation of September 30, 2011 No. 531 "On approval of the requirements for determining the area of a building, premises"
Registered in the Ministry of Justice of the Russian Federation on November 7, 2011.
The text of the order was published in Rossiiskaya Gazeta dated November 11, 2011 N 254
In cadastral activities, the area of the building and premises is important. The Ministry of Economic Development of Russia has established how to determine it.
So, to establish the area and total area of a building (room), you need to refer to the area of the simplest geometric figure (rectangle, trapezoid, right triangle, etc.). Or break up such an object into the last and summarize their area.
The corresponding value is expressed in square meters, rounded to 0.1. The measured distance values used for these purposes are meters rounded to 0.01.
The building area is calculated as the sum of the areas of all aboveground and underground floors (including technical, attic, basement). At the same time, we do not forget about the area of mezzanines, galleries and balconies of visual and other halls, verandas, glazed outdoor loggias and galleries. It also separately takes into account the area of open unheated planning elements of the building.
The area of the room is the sum of the areas of all its parts, calculated by their sizes, measured between the finished surfaces of walls and partitions at a height of 1.1-1.3 m.
The total area of residential premises and houses consists of the sum of the area of all their parts. This also includes the area of auxiliary facilities that satisfy the needs associated with living in a residential building (except for balconies, loggias, verandas and terraces). We are talking about kitchens, corridors, bathtubs, bathrooms, fitted wardrobes, pantries, as well as the area occupied by the apartment staircase.
The distances used to determine the total area of housing are measured along the entire perimeter of the walls at a height of 1.1-1.3 m from the floor.
Preparation for calculations
To work, you need:
- Floor plan,
- Tape measure or measuring tape,
- A pen,
Be careful when measuring. On a tape measure or tape, divisions in inches are often applied on the other side of the tape.
How to calculate the area of the room?
For any calculations it is necessary to apply the simplest mathematical formulas and their notation. To get the right results, it’s important to pinpoint the three main sizes. Measurements are accurate to cm, using the rules of mathematics to round the data.
- The length of the room is denoted by the letter A,
- Width - letter B,
- Ceiling height - letter S.
Pre-calculate the perimeter of the room (P):
- For the room the shape of the rectangle is P = (A + B) x 2,
- For any other tetrahedron, P = (A1 + B1 + A2 + B2).
where A1, A2 are two long opposite sides, B1, B2 are two short sides of a quadrangle.
Measuring the area of a room of a regular shape
The rectangular box is the ideal shape of the room.
For repair purposes, the correctto read:
- Floor area
- Ceiling area
- The area of the walls.
To calculate the area of the rectangle, we suggest using the classic formula from the school textbook: S =AxBwhere
- S is the calculated area,
- A is the length of the room,
- In - the width of the room.
The area of the walls is calculated by the formula S = P x C, Where R - the perimeter of the room, WITH - ceiling height.
In apartments, often opposite walls are slightly different in size. The height of the ceilings at different points in the apartment may also vary. Then for calculations take the arithmetic mean values: (A1 + A2) / 2 = A s.a., Where A1 and A2 opposite sides And S.A. - arithmetic mean value.
Irregular shape measurement
In apartments, there are sometimes rooms other than rectangular in shape. In private homes, they are more common. If necessary, calculate the area of a complex figure, divide it into rectangles, triangles and sectors. Having calculated each of them, summarize.
- For placing a round shape use the circle formula: S = πD²/4where D - the diameter of the circle (room).
- Calculating the area in the form of a triangle we use the formula of Heron S = √ (P / 2 (P / 2 -A) x (P / 2 - B) x (P / 2 - C)), Where A, B, C - sides of the triangle, R - its perimeter. The square root function is in every calculator.
- Terraces of private houses, often have the form of a semicircle. Their area will consist of their sums of the areas of the rectangle and the semicircle.
- In the design of terraces instead of a semicircle, a segment is often used. The calculation of the area of the segment is quite complicated. S segment =R 2/2 (πα / 180 -sinα), Where α - the angle of the segment (between the points of the chord and the center of the circle), expressed in degrees.
It is necessary not only to measure the magnitude of the angle, but also to calculate its sine. Therefore, we offer a calculation option through the sector of the circle:
- To do this, find the center of the circle. S segment = S sectors - S the triangle. S sectors = ½LxRwhereL– arc length. The triangle turned out to be isosceles, so we apply the classical formula: S the triangle = A / 2 x H, Where BUT - side of the triangle equal to the length of the chord, N - the height of the triangle equal to the difference between the radius of the circle and the height of the segment (H =R- N segment).
Room with alcoves or ledges
This most often applies to the kitchens of apartments. In the houses of the old housing stock in the kitchens, ventilation shafts are located, forming both niches and ledges.
- The floor or ceiling area is considered the same in this case. If the room has a niche, then add its area to the area of the rectangle. If it has a protrusion, then it is taken away.
- The area of the walls does not change if there is a ledge. And if there is a niche, then it will increase. The area of the walls with a niche is calculated according to the previously given formula S = P x C, with one clarification: to obtain the perimeter, it is necessary to summarize all the lengths and widths of the walls.
How to find out the total area of door and window openings?
These openings are usually rectangular in shape, so they are calculated using the standard formula for rectangles. To obtain the area of the surface to be repaired, it is necessary to subtract the sum of the areas of windows and doors from the calculated calculated wall area.
For arched openings, apply the formulas for calculating the area of a rectangle, a sector and summarize the results.
Calculation of the area for wallpapering
Cosmetic repairs of premises always include painting ceilings and wallpapering the walls. It is important to correctly calculate the number of wallpapers per wall area.
- Wallpaper of different parties differ from each other in tone color and depth of relief. The need to buy another roll of wallpaper from another party brings some imbalance to the room.
- Good quality wallpaper expensive. In order not to spend extra money, it is important to calculate the amount of materials with an accuracy of one roll.
- We give an example of calculation the area under the wallpaper for a standard rectangular room with a length of 5 m, a width of 4 m excluding the width of the window (1.4 m) and the door (1.5 m). The total perimeter of such a premises will be (5 + 4) x 2 - (1.4 + 1.5) = 15.1 m.
- For a room with a ceiling height of 2.6 m, the area for pasting with full strips is: 15.1 x 2.6 = 39.26 square meters m.
- From one roll 10 meters long we get three full strips: 10/ 2,6 = 3,85. This result does not depend on the need to select a picture. The remains of the roll are used for wallpapering over doors and windows.
- Wallpaper comes in two standard sizes - 0.53 m and 1.06 m. There are also 0.70 m wallpapers, but they are less common in our market. Wallpaper double width (1.06 m) quickly and conveniently glued to the smooth walls of a large area.
If there are several windows and doors in the room, it is more economical to use wallpaper of a width of 0.53 m. When working with them, we will get less waste.
- Three lane area single wallpaperwidth will be: 2.6 x 0.53 x 3 = 4.13 square meters. m. To paste the room you need to buy 39,26/4,13 = 10 rolls of wallpaper.
- If the room has cabinet furniture, for which you do not plan pasting, to save the number of expensive rolls, it is necessary to subtract the wall length from the perimeter, for example, 3 m. We get the result: 15,1 – 3 = 12,1. In this case, the area will be 12.1 x 2.6 = 31.46 sq. m. Number of rolls 31.46 / 4.13 = 8 pieces.
- When choosing a wallpaper length of 15 m, the number of full strips from the roll will be 15/2,6 = 5that will make up the area 0.53 x 5 = 2.65 sq. m. to our room need 15.1 / 2.65 = 6 rolls.
In mathematics, there are many ways to calculate the area of figures of different configurations. Our recommendations indicate the simplest methods for calculating areas, both simple shapes (rectangle) and more complex ones (segment). Arm yourself with tools and patience. You will succeed.
How to calculate square meter: units of change
When calculating the area of the ceiling, floor and walls, you need to figure out how to calculate the square meter. For calculations, you must select a measuring tape or tape measure with the application of divisions in centimeters or meters. Such a device is used for an area in square meters.
If the value is more than a meter, then not only meters, but also centimeters are used.
To correctly carry out the calculations, you can use the square meter calculator. If necessary, measure the entire length, you can do this in stages. For example, mark where roulette ended, and then stretch it again.
The table below shows common area units.
Width is also measured by tape measure. At the same time, it is placed at an angle of 90 degrees to the length. If the length is less than a meter, then it is necessary to round towards the nearest centimeter.
When calculating square meters with a calculator, it is not always possible to perform measurements in meters. The indicator is displayed both in meters and in centimeters. In this case, 1 cm equals 0.01 meters. For example, 98 cm is 0.98 m. That is, 2.98 m can be recorded. To get the area, you need to multiply the length by the width. You can round the value up.
It is worth noting other units of measurement:
- in 1 square pound - 0.093 square meters,
- in the yard - 0.84 square meters. m
The ability to correctly calculate the area is necessary in such cases:
- exact calculation of materials for repair is required,
- hired craftsmen often make payments per square meter, which must be double-checked to avoid fraud,
- knowledge of calculations is required when choosing an area. Often, utility bills are calculated based on the size of the room,
- to determine the lighting standards, you also need to know the dimensions of the room,
- knowing the area, you can always calculate the volume, which is very important when installing heating, ventilation and climate devices.
The video provides a simple explanation of the required values:
Note! To calculate the area of a complex configuration, you can divide a complex figure into simple shapes. After that, you need to find out the area of each figure, and then summarize these results.
How to prepare for calculations
Conducting preparatory manipulations is to prepare a place for measurements. It is also necessary to prepare the tool and special accessories. It is better if the room is free from foreign objects. Often this happens when measuring in a new house or during repairs. Side length measurements are taken along the walls. At the same time, you need to free at least sections for free conduct by roulette. Measurement results can immediately be transferred to the chart. Be sure to check the rectangularity of the room. For this, diagonal lines are measured.
In addition to roulette, you may need a special ruler to check straight lines. It can be a building level or a rule. Sometimes a large square is required. Alternatively, a homemade compass. You can use a piece of cord tied to a sharp pin. For the floor, you can use special accessories for measurements. For this, a marker, chalk or adhesive tape is suitable. Take measurements several times. This will avoid a mistake. Make sure that the measuring tape does not sag. Remember that many measuring instruments have two scales. Do not confuse the metric system and the inch.
Laser device makes work easier
Before measuring, sketch a simple plan - a diagram on paper. This will allow you to correctly distribute all measurements. It is worth considering that many calculation formulas are very complex. In this case, counting in a column does not work. To count without errors, you can use the Excel program.
Note! Professionals for different measurements use special laser roulettes. With their help, you can quickly measure angular and linear values. Some designs provide options for performing the necessary calculations.
How to calculate the area: the main options
Find out how to find out the area of the room. It is impossible to do this according to the technical passport, since it contains general data for the entire apartment. And the parameters must be calculated for each individual room.
How to calculate the area depends on the configuration of the room. To take measurements you will need a sheet of paper, a tape measure, a pencil and a calculator.
Depending on the configurations, different formulas can be used and various measurements taken.
If the room has the form of a square or rectangle, then you can use this formula for calculating the area.
S = A * Bwhere
BUT and AT - sides of the rectangle.
In order to carry out the correct measurements, it is necessary to move all the furniture away from the walls. In this case, the obtained value is expressed in square meters.
Features of calculations of standard figures
If the shape of the room is wrong, then you need to put on the paper the layout of the room, but in compliance with all proportions. How to calculate the area will help dividing the scheme into simple geometric shapes. Using a tape measure, all elements are measured, and then the areas of all the figures are calculated. After that, all areas must be folded.
Definition of individual sites:
- to calculate the value of the rectangular configuration, you need to multiply the width and length,
- the area of a square equals its side squared,
- area of a triangular shape - multiplying the side by height, and then dividing by two,
- to calculate the area of a circle, it is necessary to multiply the radius squared by the number Pi.
All the resulting areas can be added up, if the room consists of them.
How to make simple calculations, you can watch the video:
To perform calculations using a calculator, it is also necessary to measure the width and length of the room. All measurements must be made in meters. Also, using this device, you can calculate the dimensions of the doorways and windows.
Important information! When performing calculations for a room with protrusions, columns and niches, it is necessary to take into account their location and configuration.
How to calculate the area of a triangle
We will figure out how to calculate the area of a triangle. If an element in the form of a right angle is present in an irregularly shaped room, then you can apply the following formula:
S = (a * b) / 2,
There are other calculation options. To calculate the area of a triangle, you can first determine the quadrature of the rectangle, and then calculate the area of the triangular corner. Then the value of the triangular part is subtracted from the squared rectangle.
If there is no right angle, then you can use the Heron formula:
S = √p (p-a) (p-b) (p-c),
Wherein a, b, s denote the sides of the triangle, and R - half-perimeter. To recognize him, all parties should be summarized, and then divided by 2.
The calculation option for rooms in the form of a triangle
To calculate the area of this figure, you can multiply the length of the base by the height drawn from this base, and then divide the result by 2.
Sophisticated Design Requires Special Computing Knowledge
How to find the area of a rectangle
Often there are rooms that look like a rectangle. To calculate the area of a rectangle, an online calculator is considered the best option. But simple calculations can be made independently. There should be no protruding parts. Measure the width and length. Records need to be made in meters.
Rectangular room with niches and ledges
To calculate the area of the rectangle, it is necessary to multiply the obtained values. After the comma, you can leave only two digits, and the rest round off.
Determining values does not require complex calculations
Often the question arises, how to calculate the area of a rectangle, if there are niches. In this case, the space is divided into several figures, and they are considered separately. There is another formula for calculating the area. In this case, the perimeter of the room must be multiplied by the height. To calculate the perimeter, you need to add the length and width, and then multiply them by two.
Rectangular rooms can have all kinds of openings, niches and ledges, which should be taken into account when calculating
How to calculate the area of a trapezoid
Knowledge of how to calculate the area of a trapezoid is often required for corner rooms. The main feature of such a figure is that its two sides are parallel, and the other two not. Moreover, they can be located at any angle.
Simple formula for calculating
To calculate the area of the trapezoid, it is important to know the values of the lengths of two parallel sides, as well as the height. In this case, the height is the perpendicular between the sides.
Here is a formula you can use:
S = 1/2 (A + B) * h,
It is worth considering that nothing will change from the angles of the sides. But it is recommended to measure the height in several places. This approach will make sure that the two sides are parallel.
A trapezoidal room can be divided into triangles and rectangles and separately calculate their area
The knowledge of such a formula is also useful in calculating the area of premises of polygonal configurations. For example, an unusual space can be divided into a rectangle and a trapezoid.
There is also a special calculator for calculating rooms of a rectangular and trapezoidal shape. In this case, the difference is that the rectangle has the same length. If necessary, you can make corrections with the existing ledges and niches.
To determine the perimeter, you need to measure the lengths of the four sides, and then fold them.
Unusual configuration requires a special approach
How to calculate the area of a circle
Sometimes it is necessary to calculate the area of the circle, since the room may have separate sections of rounded configurations. Similar knowledge will come in handy when calculating door or window openings of an arched shape. Consider the shapes based on the circle. Most often, segments, quarters of a circle or semicircle are found.
Such calculations are necessary if there is a bay window or a balcony with a room. In this case, the value of the protruding circle is first determined, and then the resulting figure is added to the rest of the area.
To calculate the area of a circle, the following formula is used:
S = πR² / 2,
π equals 3.14. BUT R² Is the radius of the circle squared.
What is a segment?
Rounded configuration areas can be counted separately. In this case, a flexible type tape measure or a special twine is used.
Correct calculation of sector and segment area
It is difficult to calculate the value of the area of a circle segment. In this case, a piece of the figure is limited by an arc. To make calculations you need radius (R), and height (H) or chord length (C).
A special formula for the area of the circle sector is included in the calculator for calculations. This formula looks like this:
S = R² * arcsin (c / 2R) -0.25 * C * √ (4 R²-C²),
The table shows the formulas for calculating the arc length and sector area
How to calculate the area of a room: a method of calculating by sex
You can calculate the floor area. This procedure consists of such steps. First of all, it is necessary to free the walls of the room. It is better to take measurements in an empty room. If the room is rectangular, then you can multiply two sides. In reality, the sides may differ slightly, so it is important to measure all sides. In some cases, the room may not be properly configured. In this situation, the entire space is divided into separate rectangles. In this case, you can draw a diagram with all sizes. Then the area of individual plots is considered. By the way, the room will not necessarily consist only of rectangles. It can contain triangles and even circles.
In the table you can see the correspondence of the area on the floor with the indicators for the walls at a certain ceiling height
If you do not know how to calculate the square meters of a room, then you can use a special calculator. When calculating the dimensions, it is not necessary to observe all sizes up to a centimeter. Often used rounding values. Sometimes it is required to take into account different recesses and protrusions in the walls.
When calculating it is important to take into account their purpose. If you need to know the values for installing a warm floor, then you can not take into account the space occupied by heavy furniture.
There are options when different floor levels are used in the room. In a similar situation, it is also required to divide the room into separate zones. It is not necessary to take measurements on the wall, as it may have a curved surface.
It is difficult to determine the area on the floor, having a variety of protrusions in the form of waves or semicircles.
Complex floors require special care and special formulas
Note! If the room is L-shaped, then in addition to two rectangular shapes, there is also a triangle. To determine its area, you can multiply one leg with another.
How to calculate the area of walls
To determine the area of the walls, you need to know how to calculate the perimeter of the room. The determination of the area is often required for the purchase of all kinds of materials for decoration. In addition to the length and width of the room, you will need to find out the height of the room, as well as the dimensions of the doorways and windows.
Calculation of the area of walls of complex configuration
When calculating, it should be borne in mind that the height of the ceilings even in one room can vary, especially if the room is an attic type. Separately, the values of all the walls are calculated, and then their window and door openings are taken away from them.
Semicircular wall calculations
Exact values can be determined using the room wall area calculator. Sometimes you need to determine the volume of the room. In such a situation, it is necessary to multiply three values: the length, width and height of the room. This indicator is measured in cubic meters.
An example of calculating wallpaper using a special electronic program
If the room has a multi-level zoning, then you can carry out such calculations:
- measure all sections of the walls. Measurements are recommended closer to the ceiling,
- calculate floor area indicators,
- on each vertical section it is necessary to measure the length and height, and then multiply these values,
- add metrics to gender.
Each room has optimal parameters that can be taken into account when planning a construction project. The minimum living space is 8 square meters. m. General-purpose room, such as a hall or living room may have an area of 14 to 25 square meters. m. The minimum indicator of the height of the room is 240 cm. If the ceiling is more than three meters, then such a space is more difficult to heat. The kitchen should have an area of at least 6 square meters. m
Conducting competent calculations will create a cozy interior even with a complex design
Correct calculation of the area of a room is a guarantee of a quality repair. This approach will minimize the cost of acquiring materials.
How to calculate the area of walls can be seen in the video: