Ounces are a unit of measure for mass or weight, and the ounce scale is also used for recipes, experiments, and more. In addition, there is the concept of “fluid ounce” to measure volume. You can also measure weight in ounces if accuracy is not needed, and if necessary, you can easily convert other units to ounces.
Method 1 ounce measurement
- 1 Place your dish on the scale. All products that you will weigh must be in some kind of dish. First place this dishware while it is still empty. .
- "Ounce" refers to a unit of measure of weight or mass. Do not confuse it with a fluid ounce, which is a unit of volume. #
- Ounces are part of the American Standard measuring system, not part of the metric system.
- Make sure you have a scale with the “American Standard” measuring system.
- 2 Zero them. Put the dish on your scales and “zero” the weight. Marking zero on the scale allows you not to mix the data on the weight of the dishes with the data of your measurements. This process will vary depending on the type and model of scales you are using.
- For most digital scales, you will only need to press the On / Clear button again, in order to reset them. On some scales there may be separate buttons “Container (Dishes)” or “Zero”.
- 3 * If you are using a mechanical balance, you will need to manually turn the knob to the zero mark.
- 4 * On the lever scale, you just need to set the pointer on the center mark.
- 5 Slowly add the substance you will be measuring. Add an ingredient or substance to the dish on your balance. Watch the scales carefully as you add something so you don’t add too much.
- 6 * If you add too much, the easiest way to get it out of the dish is wrapped.
- 7 * If you are trying to find, you can add all this substance at once, and not add little by little.
- 8 * Note that this measurement should be in ounces.
- 9 Zero the scale again before adding the second ingredient. If you want to measure directly the second substance, you must first reset the scale as you did when you put the dish on the scales for the first time. After that, add a little of your second substance until you measure the required amount.
- 10 * If necessary, repeat this procedure for all necessary substances or ingredients.
Method 2 measurement of "fluid ounces"
- 1 Take a measuring cup or measuring cylinder. If possible, take a measuring cup with marks for measuring fluid ounces.
- 2 * Unlike ordinary ounces, fluid ounces are a measure of volume. One ounce of liquid is not necessarily equal to one ordinary ounce.
- 3 * Use a measuring cup for liquids, not for solids. Measuring glasses for liquids. Measuring cups for liquids have a pen and a spout.
- 4 * Fluid ounces are a measure of the American Standard system. The metric system uses milliliters and liters.
- Most graduated cylinders and beakers are designed for milliliters, but if you find those that are designed for fluid ounces, this will also be acceptable.
- 5 Gradually pour the added liquid into the container. Pour the liquid slowly into the measuring cup until you measure the right amount of fluid ounces. If you have poured too much liquid in the container, simply pour a little back.
- 6 * The measuring cup should be on a stable surface, such as a table or stand, while you are measuring the contents. You need to look at the scale of the measuring cup, so that it is at the level of your eyes, for the accuracy of your measurements.
- 7 * If you want to measure a certain amount of liquid using fluid ounces, then you can pour all the liquid into the measuring dishes at once, rather than pour it slowly and little by little. Make sure nothing splashes out while you are working.
- 8 Record the readings before adding the second substance. If you want to measure the next substance, after mixing it with the liquid that you poured first, be sure to record the previous data. After, you can pour the second liquid into the first and measure it as you did before. .
- 9 * Please note that the new data will be equal to the sum of fluid ounces that you measured the first time and ounces of fluid measured the second time.
- 10 * Repeat this procedure as necessary until you have measured all the necessary fluids.
Method 3 Estimated Ounces
- 1 Understand the advantages and disadvantages of approximate ounces. Never use approximate ounces if you need accurate data and results. We strongly recommend using a scale if you are following any recipe or experiment. But, if data accuracy is not required, you can use your hand to estimate the ounce count of most products.
- This is a good option during a diet, when you need to quickly measure food for a serving.
- Note that this method only works if you have a medium-sized adult arm. In addition, all hands are different in size, so measuring in this way can be both successful and unsuccessful for you.
- 2 Measure one ounce of meat or cheese. Place the meat or cheese on the fleshy, wide part of your thumb, right at the base. For products of a density such as these, this will be approximately 1 ounce.
- 3 * The part that you should use for measurements is the part of the thumb that is between the lower joint of the thumb and the base of the palm.
- 4 Use your palm to measure 3 ounces of meat, fish or poultry. Place food right in the palm of your hand, carefully so as not to drop it. For products with a density like these, it will be approximately 3 ounces.
# * To evaluate in this way, you need to hold your palm so that it is as flat as possible. Twist your hand a little just so that the food does not slip off it.
- 1 Approximately measure 1 to 2 ounces of nuts or pretzels. Fold your hand in the shape of a bowl and pour food there. For less dense ingredients such as pretzels, this will be approximately 1 ounce. For heavier nuts, this will be approximately 2 ounces.
- 2 * Keep your fingers closed and place food directly in the cupped part of the hand.
Method 4 Ounce Converter
- 1 Convert tons and pounds to ounces. Ounces, pounds, and tons are all units of the American Standard system, so you can convert pounds and tons to ounces.
- 2 * In 1 lb. 16 oz.
To convert pounds to ounces you just need to multiply the number of pounds by 16. # * In 1 ton, 32,000 ounces. To convert tons to ounces, multiply the number of tons by 32000.
- 1 grams per ounce. If you know the amount of substance in grams, you can convert this unit of mass to ounces with a simple calculation. 1 ounce is 28.35 grams, so you can determine the number of ounces by dividing the number of grams by 28.35.
- 2 * For faster and less accurate conversion of units of measurement into one another, you can remember a few approximate data that are commonly used in everyday life, cooking and more.
- 3 ** 15 grams = 1/2 ounce
- 4 ** 30 grams = 1 ounce
- 5 ** 85 grams = 3 ounces
- 6 ** 100 grams = 3.75 ounces
- 7 ** 115 grams = 4 ounces
- 8 ** 225 grams = 8 ounces
- 9 ** 340 grams = 12 ounces
- 10 ** 450 grams = 16 ounces
- 11 Calculation of ounces using spoons and cups. Use an ounce scale whenever possible. Different products have different masses, so measuring the volume with a spoon or cup will never give you an accurate result. Only if you need an approximate result, you can measure the number of ounces using spoons and cups.
- Remember the following approximate data:
- 12 ** 3 hoursl = 1 tablespoon = 1/2 oz
- 13 ** 2 tbsp.l = 1/8 cup = 1 ounce
- 14 ** 4 tbsp.l = 1/4 cup = 2 ounces
- 15 ** 5-1 / 3 Art.l = 1/3 cup = 2.6 ounces
- 16 ** 8 Art.l = 1/2 cup = 4 ounces
- 17 ** 12 Art.l = 3/4 cup = 6 ounces
- 18 ** 16 Art.l = 1 cup = 8 ounces
- 19 ** 32 Art.l = 2 cups = 16 ounces
How to determine the size of boxing gloves
Most often, manufacturers make boxing gloves according to such a criterion as “weight”. To determine the weight of the gloves, use ounces (oz), for your convenience we have converted them to grams in the table below. The smallest gloves (4 ounces) are made for children, the largest (20 ounces) are used by heavyweight boxers.
There is one feature in boxing gloves: the more weight, the softer it is. That is why, during sparring, gloves of greater weight are often used to cause less injury to the sparring partner.
When training in heavy boxing gloves, you develop your stamina and shoulder girdle. In competitions, this will give you extra speed and impact power.
Boxing Gloves Size Chart by weight:
How to choose boxing gloves by size
Some manufacturers make gloves using the usual sizes: XS, S, M. To select these boxing gloves, you will need to measure the girth of the arm around the knuckles (as shown in the figure on the right).
Take a centimeter or inch tape, wrap the brush with this tape in the knuckles. Exclude the thumb from the measurements, otherwise the calculations will be incorrect. Compare the result with the table below.
Boxing gloves size chart for men and women
|Brush girth (cm)||Brush circumference (inch)||Gloves size|
This table allows you to choose the most optimal size gloves for a professional fighter and beginner. However, not all manufacturers use such a measurement system, so you need to know sizes of boxing gloves in ounces to every athlete.
One ounce is how many grams?
This designation came from ancient Rome. So called a measure of weight, which was equal to one twelfth libra. The libra is 327.45 grams, respectively, an ounce weighs 28.34 grams. The empire of the ancient Romans covered the whole world known at that time. And due to the exchange of goods, cultural influence, especially the elements of trade, which included measures of weight, spread throughout Eurasia. From the Roman Empire, the term spread throughout the world. Now an ounce means:
- Measure of weight.
- Measure of volume.
- Meru Square.
- Monetary units of some countries.
- Parts of the inheritance.
All this is somehow connected with the division of the whole into twelve parts.
An ounce, how many grams does it weigh?
But the times of Ancient Rome have long passed. Therefore, people meet different interpretations in the interpretation of the concept of "ounce"
- An ounce of averdupois is 28.35 g. - Almost the same weight that was adopted in the Roman Empire.
- Troy ounce is 31.1 g. Gold is measured in such units.
- The pharmacy ounce is currently outdated and, depending on the country and application, ranged from 25 to 35 g.
- In the Netherlands, at the moment, an ounce is called 100 g of weight.
So to understand what ounce in question is possible only from the context. Often, in a variety of culinary and pharmacy recipes, an ounce meant something approximate, like a tablespoon in Russia: one pours an incomplete, the other with a slide, in the third it will shake everything at the level of the edge of the spoon.
An ounce is how many grams and how this knowledge can be applied?
The answer to the first question was received a little earlier, but what about the second? Despite the old-fashioned sound, an ounce is actively used. This is a verified and documented in a single measurement system - SI - a measure of weight. Where does the ounce apply?
- In the measurement of precious metals. On the exchanges of European countries: prices for gold, silver, platinum are indicated per ounce of the substance.
- In the United States and the United Kingdom, bulk and viscous products are often sold and measured in ounces, as are distances in miles and volume in gallons.
Having met this term in the text, do not be alarmed. Read carefully what ounce you have in mind. Check what is at stake, and you can imagine the weight of the described goods or substances.