Hiccup is the occurrence of a characteristic involuntary sound, accompanied by a slight trembling of the abdomen. This problem is faced by both adults and children. It does not pose a danger to the body and independently passes through a maximum of 10-15 minutes. Nevertheless, each mother at least once asked herself a question - how to stop hiccups in a newborn child. Kids hiccup more often than adults, they can’t cope with this condition on their own, so parents are in a hurry to help their children quickly get rid of the obsessive “ik-ik”.
Reasons for hiccups
Most often, respiratory failure in infants occurs for the following reasons:
- swallowing large amounts of air while feeding,
- the use of "dummies",
- binge eating,
As a rule, hiccups caused by one of these factors pass quickly, do not cause a child to change their behavior or mood and should not scare parents. Children begin to hiccup long before birth. During pregnancy, a woman from time to time feels light rhythmic tremors. Doctors ask expectant mothers not to worry, such phenomena are considered physiological. After birth, the baby continues to hiccup from time to time, sometimes several times a day. By 3 months, the frequency of such manifestations is reduced. This is due to the strengthening of the central nervous system and muscles of the chest.
During hiccups, complex processes of interaction of nerve fibers, muscles and internal organs occur in the human body. Hiccups cause a sharp and convulsive contraction of the diaphragm (the diaphragm is the muscle that separates the chest from the abdominal cavity). In most cases, an overcrowded stomach and an accumulation of air in the digestive tract provoke a spasm of this muscle. A distended stomach presses on the diaphragm, causing it to contract, and a sharp closing of the glottis causes a characteristic sound.
An attack of hiccups is a kind of protective reaction of the body to the appearance of a large amount of air in the stomach. Characteristic diaphragm contractions help remove air from the gastrointestinal tract. After all excess air has been removed, the contraction stops. This is probably the reason for the independent cessation of hiccups without the participation of external factors. The process of an attack of hiccups is also associated with the nervous system. When a person is in a hurry while eating, is in an uncomfortable position for a long time or experiences a sharp attack of fear, the vagus nerve passes through the diaphragm and, as a result, hiccups.
How to save a newborn from hiccups if he cannot drink in small sips and hold his breath? The manifestation of hiccups in infants requires a special approach. So what you need to do:
- Make sure the baby is not cold. You need to touch his arms and legs. If the temperature in the room is below 22 degrees, dress the baby, cover with a blanket or a warm diaper.
- Pour a little boiled water into a bottle and give a drink. Swallowing movements help relieve spasm of the diaphragm. If hiccups occurred immediately after eating, it is not recommended to feed the newborn again to rid him of it. Most likely, re-feeding will only strengthen these manifestations and lead to overeating and regurgitation.
- Establish a feeding process. When mother feeds the baby, laying it next to him, he swallows a lot of air with milk. The inconvenient position of the child, in which he has to turn his head, provokes hiccups. If there is no possibility to refuse feeding while lying down, you should put the baby on your hand and turn it while feeding, sideways, holding the other hand behind your back. To reduce the ingestion of excess air into the stomach, it is better to feed the child sitting, hold it on the arm, slightly raising the elbow or placing a pillow under the arm.
- After feeding, periodically keep the newborn upright. This will help him burp out the excess air. Do not abuse this method. If the child has eaten and sleeps, there is no need to disturb him; in a dream, air escapes from the mouth rarely.
- Pay attention to the choice of bottles for feeding, nipples and "soothers". Currently, manufacturers of these products are constantly improving their technology, trying to make sucking milk from a bottle or sucking a “dummy” as close as possible to breastfeeding. Anti-colic systems are used to reduce air ingestion. Breastfeeding is a natural nutrition for a newborn, which favorably affects its development and health. If for some reason such nutrition is impossible, you should opt for high-quality nipples, select them by age.
- When the baby hiccups, it is better to take it in your arms, hug it, gently pat it on the back or shake it. The warmth of my mother’s hands and methodical movements will help calm the baby’s breathing.
- Create a relaxed atmosphere in the house. Sudden loud noises, pops, repairs, or flashes of light can scare a newborn, causing him to take a sharp breath. The nervous system of infants has not yet gained strength and is keenly responding to any stimuli. It is recommended to remove the TV from the nursery or mute it in the presence of a newborn.
The measures taken will help prevent and stop the obsessive hiccups. If none of the above methods helps, and the child hiccups for more than half an hour, while crying, twirling, coughing, it is necessary to immediately consult a doctor. Any manifestation of anxiety on the part of the child caused by functional disorders in his well-being requires close supervision by specialists.
Most often, protracted hiccups are associated with neurological problems in the newborn. The sooner a neurologist gets acquainted with a long hiccuping baby, the higher the likelihood of a speedy recovery and elimination of complications. Hiccups are not a disease, but they require close attention if they interfere with the normal development of the newborn.
Types of hiccups and the reasons for its appearance
Usually hiccuping a baby is a completely harmless and natural process, only in some cases being a symptom of a dangerous disease. In this case, you should focus on the duration of the attack:
- Occasional hiccups occur unexpectedly, lasts for 10 or 15 minutes, disappearing just as suddenly. This species does not present a danger, it is possible to get rid of it without difficulty using folk methods.
- They speak of a long form in cases where the phenomenon is observed daily for more than one week. The duration of hiccups is already suspicious. But if the baby burps food, weakens, behaves uneasily, in addition to hiccups, he has vomiting attacks, one can suspect the presence of pathology and not postpone the visit to the pediatrician for a long time.
Now, let's talk about the reasons that contribute to the development of an attack, and consider how to get rid of hiccups in an infant in safe ways:
- Often when feeding a child swallows excess air, the body automatically tries to get rid of it - this is how hiccups arise. Such a nuisance usually occurs with improper grip of the chest. In the correct position, the baby’s mouth completely covers the areola, which creates a complete vacuum. In the case when the hiccups appear in the artificial person, the reason may be that the hole in the nipple is too large. The child does not have time to swallow incoming portions of milk, releases the nipple, while taking in excess air.
- Subcooling can also cause the pathology in question.. Wet diapers and a baby hiccuping as a result are no less frequently observed picture. It is necessary to change the baby, raise the temperature in the room - it should be no lower than 18-26ºС.
- Pathology can develop against the backdrop of fear - too loud sounds, light flashes, or sudden touches on the baby in a similar way. There is only one way out - to reassure the baby.
- Thirst can also cause hiccups, because when there is a lack of water, the mucous layer of the diaphragm dries and a subsequent spasm occurs. In this case, you should drink or feed the child.
- Sometimes the pathological condition lasts more than two hours. At the same time, getting rid of hiccups does not occur, no matter what measures are taken to eliminate the trouble. In this case, children are more likely to be affected by the disease. Perhaps the presence of helminthic invasion, problems with the brain or spinal cord, digestive system. It is possible that this is a complication after a difficult birth, especially if fetal hypoxia was observed.
How to fix the problem
[adrotate banner = "4 ″] Now let's talk about how to save a newborn from hiccups without harming him. The simplest and most reliable way to stop a child's hiccups is to remove a provoking factor:
- If these are wet diapers, they should be replaced, dress the baby in dry clothes.
- Perhaps the baby cannot independently burp the air, therefore, after feeding, it is recommended to wear the baby, giving it a vertical position, pressing it to itself, holding the head. In the process, a light massage is required, stroking the crumb on the back. This effect accelerates the release of excess air.
- Breast can offer breasts. This method will calm and at the same time quench hunger and thirst in the child.
- A warm diaper is not only a way to rid a child of hiccups, but also an opportunity to eliminate colic. The fabric should be ironed and put crumbs on the stomach.
- As a treatment, you can use warm baths, when lowering the baby into the water, it should cover the stomach and chest.
- You can give your baby a drink of clean warm water from a bottle. It will help relieve spasm of the diaphragm.
- Massaging the auricle or cooling the earlobe also helps, for this it is enough to attach a spoon or a coin to it for several minutes.
For infants, there are several safe recipes using herbal remedies.
The simplest thing is to drop two to three drops of chamomile broth or a drop of lemon juice under the tongue of the baby, this will help eliminate the diaphragm spasm.
You can prepare a decoction in two ways:
- Using portioned bags. Each of them should be poured with 200 ml of boiled water, infuse chamomile tea for 10 minutes. The drink should acquire a golden color.
- Preparing a collection purchased at a pharmacy. In 200 ml of boiling water, the flowers of the pharmacy chamomile should be brewed for 10 minutes, covering the container with a lid or saucer, then filtered, cooled to the required temperature.
Another effective remedy is dill water. For its preparation, it is necessary to brew one small spoon of dill seeds in a glass of boiling water, insist for 30 minutes. Then the infusion is filtered and watered by the baby three times a day. Each serving should not exceed a small spoon.
It should be noted that it is easier to prevent a problem than to think about how to stop a hiccup in a newborn later. Simple preventative measures will help to avoid an unpleasant phenomenon. You should not scare the child, the baby must be dressed in accordance with the weather, carefully monitor the condition of diapers and diapers.
If hiccups arise due to feeding problems, it will not hurt to adjust your own approach:
- Perhaps the problem is overeating. Overfeeding a baby causes not only hiccups, but also colic. It is important to monitor the behavior of the child: a hungry baby completely focuses on feeding. A fed-up child begins to turn his head, show curiosity to surrounding objects, reacts to sounds, changing lighting. Having noticed this behavior, you should stop feeding - probably the baby is just “playing” with the breast.
- Often, very hungry, the baby begins to suck greedily and quickly, swallowing portions of air with milk. If the baby is in a hurry, you should not wait long, after a minute of such feeding it must be interrupted and the baby should be placed in an upright position, organizing the release of air with burping. After this, feeding is continued.
Mechanism of occurrence
Before you deal with the causes of hiccups, it is advisable to understand the physiology of its appearance. In babies of the first months of life, it arises due to the fact that they still have a weak diaphragmatic muscle, it begins to contract due to the slightest irritant. In excitable crumbs, it can appear even because of bright light, sound or sudden movement. Its mechanism is quite simple: the diaphragm involuntarily shrinks, while the lungs take a sharp breath, which is accompanied by a characteristic and well-known sound. In this case, the baby may tremble a little.
Possible causes of hiccups
As a rule, this is a completely natural process. Do not worry too much if you have hiccups in newborns. What to do, many mothers will be able to tell you, because most of them have encountered these characteristic diaphragm contractions in their children. First of all, try to understand what exactly caused it. So, among the most common reasons are called:
- swallowing air during feeding,
- a large amount of food that the baby eats at one time,
- a large hole in the nipple on the bottle with the mixture (the crumb may hiccup due to the fact that during the meal begins to choke on the food),
- cold or thirst.
Some also say that hiccups in newborns after feeding can be an indirect sign of pneumonia, various gastrointestinal infections, and liver problems. But do not panic ahead of time. Most often this happens due to the fact that excess air or gaziki raise the stomach, and it becomes an irritant to the diaphragm. No less common cause is cold. The newborn strains the abdominal muscles, which also leads to the fact that the stomach begins to put pressure on the diaphragm. This reaction to the cold indicates that the baby is learning to adapt to environmental conditions.
How to deal with frequent diaphragm contractions?
Hearing the characteristic sounds from the baby, try to help him get rid of discomfort. If you figure out the reason, then understanding how to help a newborn with hiccups will become easier. To eliminate the contractions caused by overeating, you can press it vertically to yourself or lay it on the tummy. If the baby’s little body is cool, maybe the baby just froze. Dress it warmer or cover it with a blanket.
A newborn can be helped by simply giving him a few sips of water or by applying it to his chest for a couple of minutes. Usually experienced parents do not cause hiccups in newborns without fear, what to do in this case, as a rule, they know. After all, it is unlikely that you will find at least one mom or dad who has never had a tiny baby hiccup.
Prevent the problem
Often, hiccups in a newborn after eating arise due to the fact that, along with the nutrition, the baby swallowed the air. In this case, it is possible to prevent the contraction of the diaphragmatic muscle if you wear it with a column after each meal. This will help gas bubbles to exit easily. It is worth noting that most often mothers actively and eagerly sucking babies complain about hiccups. Such children need to pause during meals, this will help prevent the accumulation of a large amount of air in the stomach. During the break, carry the child in a column. For babies who drink the mixture from the bottle, it is important to choose the right pacifier. For the smallest, the hole should be small, otherwise you will not be able to overcome the problem of involuntary reduction of the diaphragm.
Frequent hiccups in a newborn require increased attention to measures for its possible prevention. They come down to the fact that it is necessary to prevent increased gas formation. So, among the most popular and effective methods are called frequent laying on the tummy, massage, nutrition adjustment for a nursing mother, or the selection of another mixture for the baby artificer.
What does the baby feel?
Of course, no one can say for sure whether the diaphragm contractions cause the baby concern. But judging by the fact that most crumbs themselves are quite calm about the fact that they have hiccups, then there is no need to talk about severe discomfort. A hiccuping baby can lie still, play with rattles, walk and smile. Of course, if he is cold or if something hurts him, then he will certainly begin to express concern. In all other cases, parents have no reason to worry.
With a normal physiological hiccup, a baby can only be bothered by the fact that he cannot fall asleep and is uncomfortable to eat. By the way, you should not try to feed the baby while he hiccups.
Should I tell the doctor?
If your baby hiccups just a few minutes a day, then you can tell the local pediatrician about this just to hear that it is quite natural. Also, the doctor will be able to reassure you that parents should not be disturbed by the short and short hiccups in newborns. What to do if it does not cause discomfort to the baby, but only causes the parents to panic, the doctor will also tell. Shelter, vilify the column on the handles and give some water - some of these techniques must help.
Но в случаях, когда икота затяжная, необходимо как можно раньше обратиться к педиатру. Некоторые крохи в прямом смысле икают на протяжении суток. У других она может длиться по несколько десятков минут или даже часов. These conditions, of course, require additional consultation with a specialist.
If you complain to the pediatrician about frequent and prolonged hiccups, which cannot be eliminated, then be prepared for the fact that your child will have to undergo an examination. Also, do not be silent if you see that she gives the baby visible anxiety. After all, this is not a usual hiccup in newborns, what to do in such situations is better for the doctor to decide.
One possible cause of this condition is neurological problems. In this case, contractions occur due to harsh sounds, bright light and even new faces. In this case, the neurologist should examine the baby, if necessary, a neurosonography will be done. If problems are found, do not refuse the appropriate treatment.
Another possible cause may be diseases of the stomach, liver, intestines. But such pathologies occur extremely rarely, although ultrasound of the abdominal cavity does not hurt. It will also not be amiss for a cardiologist to do an ultrasound examination of the heart. Hiccups can be an indirect sign of problems with the main muscle of the body. Often in often hiccups, an open oval window, additional chords, or even mitral valve prolapse are found.
Hiccups and vomiting
Some mothers say that the baby begins to hiccup, and after that it spits up very abundantly. At the same time, impressionable mothers begin to panic and re-feed the baby who has just finished eating. It seems to them that he has nothing left in his stomach. In this case, it is especially important to find out how to stop the hiccups in the newborn. Better yet, try to prevent it. Vomiting, of course, may indicate a pathology of the gastrointestinal tract, but most often it is the result of overfeeding the child. The stretched stomach presses on the diaphragmatic muscle, due to its contraction, and the release of excess food begins. If this is the reason, then solving this problem is very easy - reduce the amount that the baby drinks at a time. Even with breastfeeding this is possible, just slightly reduce the feeding time.
Was there a problem?
As a rule, by half a year parents hiccups in newborns cease to bother. What to do when it occurs they already know. But this is not the main reason for the lack of anxiety - at this point in most babies the stomach and intestines fully mature, so hiccups occur less and less, and eventually disappear completely. In most cases, all the fears of mothers are in vain.
But still, if your crumb each attack of hiccups lasts more than 20 minutes, more often - much longer, it repeats several times a day, and it is impossible to stop it using the described methods, it is better to talk with a specialist. An additional examination will not do any harm, but it will help to identify possible pathologies at an early age or a disease at the very beginning.
Hiccups are a natural physiological process in the body. Appears for various reasons. Our body reacts similarly to external stimuli that provoke excitation of the vagus nerve of the diaphragmatic muscle.
Known folk methods that eliminate the attack. Follow the tips correctly, and you can stop hiccuping.
How to get rid of hiccups right away
Before you begin to deal with a phenomenon that causes discomfort, find out the reason. Factors causing hiccups in humans:
- Overeating, malnutrition,
- Poorly chewed food
- Fatty and spicy foods
- Alcohol poisoning,
- Stressful situation.
In adults, an attack of convulsive contraction of the diaphragm muscle is less common than in children. Methods designed to stop hiccups help at any age.
To get rid of hiccups at home, it is permissible to use folk methods. If one does not help, try a new method to relieve the attack. The first person can help stop hiccuping a glass of water, the second breathing exercises, the third physical activity.
Diaphragm relaxation by breathing
Methods of getting rid of hiccups for an adult are simple. Convulsive contraction of the diaphragm muscle can be calmed by breathing techniques. A deep breath, a slow exhalation will help relax the body.
Hiccup breathing exercises:
- Get full lungs of air. Hold the chest in this position for 10-20 seconds. Exhale gradually. Avoid signs of dizziness while holding your breath.
- A paper bag will help you quickly escape from strong hiccups and shift your attention to even breathing. Inflate and blow out the bag with your mouth, the action relieves spasms in the diaphragmatic muscle.
- Fright helps to change the rhythm of inhalation-exhalation, to cope with hiccups. A breath of air can stifle breathing, distract a person from a long hiccup, and help calm her. Unexpectedly scare you need to be careful. The method is not applicable for children.
- Perfume. You can smell your favorite perfume, it changes your breath, focuses a person’s attention on the smell. Try to take a couple of slow breaths after that.
Changing the rhythm of breathing is an effective way to relieve an attack. You can practice yoga, meditation - the methods help to relax, distract from hiccups, and put in order the breathing rhythm.
During hiccups, it is recommended to “drink” the violation with water. Cold water eliminates spasms, soothes - the best way to deal with hiccups. The tool is especially effective if the attack begins after a snack.
Water helps stop hiccups from birth. It is recommended to drink it, bending over or throwing your head back up. It is permissible to gargle. When rinsing, be careful not to choke on water. Gargling is not recommended for children when hiccuping.
Against hiccups, it is allowed to add a spoonful of sugar or honey to the water. Sweet switches attention, activates the salivary gland. Newborns are forbidden to offer sweet water, honey. This can trigger allergic reactions in the baby. As a rule, in infants the phenomenon goes away on its own.
A homemade effective way is to drink a lemon solution. The sour taste makes you secrete more saliva. You swallow more often, change the rhythm of breathing, so it will be possible to drive off the attack.
To overcome hiccups, you can use herbs. The infusion of pharmacy chamomile has a calming effect on the nervous system. Recipe: a teaspoon of dried flowers steamed with boiling water. Let it brew for a few minutes. Cool slightly, strain. Children are offered chamomile infusion after three months if there is no allergic reaction.
You can try to bring down the rhythm of breathing by squatting. Take a deep breath and squat down, while exhaling, return to the starting position. Repeat 5-10 times. A person focuses on doing exercises, breathing well, the diaphragmatic muscle calms down.
Exercise can be performed if a person feels well. With dizziness, cramping in the abdomen, chest, these methods are not recommended.
To overcome hiccups, a change in the position of the diaphragmatic muscle helps. Stretch your arms up, raise your head after your hands. Repeat several times. So you stretch the chest, change the position of the diaphragm. It is allowed to do charging.
Try to sit on your knees and press your chest to the floor. Try to breathe evenly, making a slow inhale and exhale, if possible not hiccup. Stay in this position for 2 minutes.
How to stop alcoholic hiccups
With alcohol intoxication, an attack of contraction of the diaphragmatic muscle occurs. In order for hiccups to pass, an adult needs to clear the stomach of the decay products of ethyl alcohol. To do this, it is permissible to induce vomiting, take sorbent preparations. Later, if the hiccup did not stop, try the methods:
- Put a piece of ice on your tongue, hold it until it melts.
- Eat a teaspoon of sugar. It is recommended to pour granulated sugar on the tongue and dissolve, a folk remedy helps with hiccups.
- Help with hiccups has a lemon, an orange. You can put a slice of lemon on the tongue. Sour taste provokes increased salivation, helps fight hiccups.
- Try to exercise from a long hiccup. If dizziness is observed after alcohol intoxication, exercise is prohibited.
- Slowly chew a slice of stale bread.
To avoid an unpleasant phenomenon, it is recommended to eliminate the cause of convulsive diaphragm contractions. It is recommended to stop drinking with a debilitating hiccup after alcohol intoxication.
Methods for eliminating hiccups in children
Children are characterized by an unpleasant phenomenon caused by overeating, hypothermia, air entering the stomach. Less commonly observed is a symptom that has arisen on a nervous basis.
- To overcome hiccups, simply offer your child a glass of boiled water. Drinking is recommended in small sips. Do not overeat, dry food. Teach your child to eat slowly.
- The phenomenon that arose from hypothermia is eliminated by warming the baby. Periodically check the arms, legs of the baby, if the limbs are cold, then the child is frozen. Put on warm socks, wrap in a plaid, offer a mug of tea.
- Small children are easy to distract. Switch the child’s attention to an interesting toy, lure the game and the attack will pass. You can go out into the fresh air and play catch-up.
In newborns, hiccups in the first three months of life are a natural physiological phenomenon. Digestion adapts to new living conditions. Various external factors can excite the vagus nerve of the diaphragmatic muscle. Food, temperature conditions indoors, outdoors, loud sound, strangers, bright light - cause hiccups in infants. If the child is without water for a long time, thirst provokes a convulsive contraction of the diaphragmatic muscle.
Hiccups in infants are not harmful to health, pass on their own within 10-15 minutes. To help the baby stop the attack, it is necessary to remove irritating factors. Leave a crowded place, if possible eliminate noise. Calm the baby, give him a chest, a bottle of water (mixture).
To prevent a symptom in children at home will be obtained in the described ways:
- Make sure that the child does not overeat,
- Proper nutrition, observe the daily routine,
- To dress the child according to the weather,
- Maintain the temperature in the house, especially for newborns.
Pay attention if an attack of convulsive contraction of the diaphragmatic muscle is observed for more than 20 minutes, is repeated often, for no apparent reason. A similar symptom may indicate a health problem. Show the child to the pediatrician, find out the reason, begin the recommended treatment. If there is an increase in temperature, consult a doctor immediately. Most likely, the inflammatory process in the body has begun. It is possible to cure the symptom by eliminating the source of the disease.
Prevention of hiccups is to adhere to a diet. If the reason is overeating, spend enough time for lunch, monitor the diet. Avoid intoxication.
For adults and children, the same rules for prevention. If you feel that you are freezing, dress warmer, drink hot tea. Hiccups are an unpleasant phenomenon, especially if they are caught in the workplace. Quick methods to get rid of the symptom will help eliminate the disorder.
You can escape from hiccups at home. If hiccups are tortured, try the above methods to interrupt the convulsive diaphragm contractions.
If the hiccup does not stop, lasts for a day, nothing helps, it is recommended to go to the hospital. From constant hiccups, deterioration of well-being, discomfort in the stomach, pain in the chest area are possible. A medical examination will help establish the source of a strong hiccup and cure the disease. Clinic, the right treatment will save you from a long hiccups.
Young parents are regularly haunted by fears for the health of the newborn baby. Responsible mothers carefully monitor the baby's stool, the temperature of his body. Hiccups after feeding often cause anxiety in inexperienced parents. Their desire to find out the cause of the process and the consequences is fully justified.
More often, overeating is the cause of the phenomenon in infants breastfeeding. The baby uses a large amount of milk. Food expands the stomach. The digestive organ puts pressure on the diaphragm. The baby spits up and hiccups. Reflex does not occur once, but after each feeding, if the volume of milk exceeds the norm.
For artisans, the process and the amount of nutrition can be controlled. Observing the norm set for the newborn, the mother will prevent the phenomenon.
Factors that provoke overfeeding:
- Eating on schedule. The baby wants to eat before the feeding time is right. In the next step, the baby will eagerly swallow the mixture or milk, quickly filling the stomach.
- A large amount of breast milk in the mother. The abundance of front milk, which often comes out with strong pressure, helps to saturate the newborn before the baby reaches healthy fat milk.
Hiccups are not a disease or a sign of pathology. This is a temporary phenomenon that occurs in newborns and stops after a few minutes without parental intervention. If the contraction of the diaphragm is inconvenient, scares the newborn or prevents the baby from falling asleep, measures can be taken.
Reflex reduction of the diaphragm after eating does not pose a threat to the health of children and rarely indicates pathology, but sometimes causes discomfort in newborns and their parents. When a symptom occurs, young parents rarely know what to do. If the little one began to hiccup after feeding - it is recommended to take the baby in his arms, giving the body a vertical position. The position of the column will enable the baby to burp excess food and air.
A light massage in the area of the clavicle will help to remove the reflex. If the symptom persists, it is recommended to give warm fennel tea or boiled water.
Strong hiccups can occur in a baby who is breast-fed - she’s supposed to make sure that the mixture is suitable. Bloating, flatulence and colic will help eliminate special medications for newborns. Espumisan, Sub-simplex - drugs that are allowed from the first days of life.
The phenomenon does not require treatment, if what is happening scares the newborn, causes discomfort or interferes with sleep, you can take measures:
- Give warm liquid, attach to chest.
- Put a warm towel on the belly of the crumbs.
- The parent can hold the baby upright, until a burping occurs.
Gasses help to eliminate gases. Circular stroking in a clockwise direction will help to calm down spasms. Tea from dill seeds, chamomile tea eliminate gas formation. If the methods do not help, you may need a vent tube for the newborn.
When to see a doctor
If the reduction of the diaphragm occurs constantly after eating and lasts more than an hour, the baby cries and is restless - you need to consult a doctor for advice. Only a doctor can determine the cause of the reflex. Serious diseases rarely provoke a symptom in an infant, but they should not be completely ruled out. Pathology of the liver, lung disease, impaired function of the spinal cord and brain - can cause a diaphragm reduction after eating and at any time.
The pediatrician, after listening to the parents, will direct the child to an ultrasound examination of the internal organs. An ultrasound will help to identify the pathology of the organs of the gastrointestinal tract of the baby.
If the brain or spinal cord is not functioning properly, a neurologist will be required.
What advises Dr. Komarovsky
The famous doctor Komarovsky believes that hiccups in infants are normal, and medical care is necessary if the hiccups in infants last more than three hours, and in addition there are abdominal pains. The pediatrician is convinced that hypothermia is rarely the cause of hiccups; rather, adaptation to the temperature of the environment occurs.
As a method of dealing with the phenomenon, the pediatrician recommends giving the baby a drink of water, normalizing the humidity level in the room or going out with the baby for a walk.
Method 1 Hiccups during feeding
For example, if the baby hiccups with food, then you do not need to continue feeding, but raise it vertically and press it against your stomach. Perhaps the child was swallowing air when he ate too eagerly, and having belched excess, he would feel better.
Since it is very difficult to stop the hiccups in the baby after eating, and you need to wait for the milk to digest in his ventricle, the only thing parents can do is to hold the child upright. In the supine position, an overflowing stomach presses on the diaphragm, and the hiccups can last a long time.
Method 2 Hiccups from hypothermia
There are several ways to save a child from hiccups, which began from mild hypothermia. First of all, you need to warm the baby by dressing warmly, covering with a blanket or simply clinging to yourself. Even if the feeding time has not come yet, you can give the baby a breast or a warm milk mixture - this will quickly warm him.
With hiccups, the baby does not need to panic and think that the child is seriously ill: in most cases, it is simply a reaction of a small organism to irritants. Спокойствие и уверенность родителей передаются детям, а нервозность матери может спровоцировать беспокойство малыша.
Девочки привет! Сегодня я расскажу вам, как же мне удалось прийти в форму, похудеть на 20 килограммов, и, наконец, избавиться от жутких комплексов полных людей. I hope you find the information useful!
Do you want to be the first to read our materials? Subscribe to our telegram channel