Well, hands got ready to prepare a master class on making a photo album from scratch)))
This is always a very inconvenient process, because you need to have time to photograph on time with one hand, and the second while cutting paper and gluing parts at the same time)))
Many operations are done so quickly and almost unconsciously that sometimes you do not have time to fix such moments)))
Nevertheless, I did this MK! Of course, it’s better to watch and repeat everything live, but many do not have the opportunity to attend a live master class, you have to learn from photographs.
I am ready to answer questions and help you as much as possible)
1. First, prepare the paper. For the production of photo albums, special scrapbooking paper is used. It does not contain acids that can ruin your photos in the future and its quality is the so-called archival, that is, the paper should look perfect for at least 70 years. Many needlewomen manage to print their favorite pattern on a color printer, but I recommend not experimenting. Scrapbooking is a fairly new area in Russia, it has been around for ten years - during this time it is quite possible that the pages printed on the printer on acid-rich paper have been preserved. But you hope that your grandchildren, great-grandchildren and other subsequent generations will consider the album? What will happen to your photos in 40 or 70 years? It seems now - it takes so long ... And time flies very quickly and you always need to remember the future)
In addition, handmade albums are very expensive and it will be very disappointing if after 20 years they will be hopelessly damaged and the paper will simply crumble from antiquity (for plain paper of unarchived quality, the shelf life and shelf life is 25 years maximum).
Before you start creating an album, decide on the topic (decide at least for whom the album will be created - for a boy or girl, man or woman, colleague or close friend), so as not to get a mixture of styles in the end.
Since this album was created for a newborn girl, the corresponding paper was chosen.
The number of sheets is selected individually, according to your idea.
To determine the gamut, take initially a little more paper than you need, lay out the sheets side by side and choose pairwise combinations that you like best and that look harmoniously close together.
Pair separation is necessary in order to make harmonious album spreads that will not drown or spoil each other.
2. Preparation of tools and decor. In addition to paper, you will need scissors, double-sided tape for scrapbooking (it is made on the basis of special glue), a breadboard or stationery knife, hole and edge punch holes, ribbons, lace, flowers, buttons and other decorative elements that you want to use in the album.
I usually collect everything that I would like to use for the gimmicks, and in the process of work I discard the unnecessary, choosing only the most necessary details.
Buttons and small elements (brads, anchors, etc.) I store in containers, sorted by color. So it’s more convenient to select according to the gamut.
For tapes, for example, there is such a container in which hanks of tapes are stored in the compartments. If necessary, stretch as much as necessary, cut off and the remainder of the tape remains in the container. Very comfortably.
3. Compilation of the composition. When I make an album, I lay out the sheets in pairs - as they will be placed in the album. This is necessary in order to arrange all elements harmoniously so that one page does not conflict with another.
We lay out the necessary elements on the pages, look, add something, remove something.
Gradually, we begin to attach the decor.
4. Making corners. When I didn’t have a hole punch for photo angles, I went around with homemade corners. I really like them and still I often use them. They are reliable and plump, I like much more than the corners from a hole punch)))
On the back of the sheet of paper, draw squares. I take the width of the metal ruler as the basis - the side of the square is 2.5 cm - this is enough.
Cut, fold diagonally with the front side out and walk along the edge of the cut with a pad of paint. Again - use special materials for scrapbooking in your work, they are developed specifically for archival paper and photographs. This pleasure is certainly not cheap, but it is spent rationally, and for example I don’t have the frantic expenses for such consumables - everything is uniform.
Next, apply to the sheet. A little trick - I cut out templates for the size of photographs from paper (12x12, 10x15) and do not measure them with a ruler each time - I just put the template where I need it, try on the corners and sew on.
A few stitches on a typewriter - and your corner is ready!
After sewing, be sure to bring the threads to the wrong side, tie knots and fix with tape - this is necessary to fix so that everything holds tight.
5. Fastening the frames. In this album I used ready-made frames from a set. They are fastened to the base with small legs and these burrs should be cleaned with a regular nail file so as not to spoil the look.
The file should be moved in one direction so as not to damage the paper fibers.
The edges of frames made by hand from binding cardboard are also processed.
Next, I needed to not only stick the frame, but raise it to a level, give volume. This is solved with the help of bulk double-sided tape. You can use both squares and solid tape.
We fix the adhesive tape on 3 sides of the frame, the fourth remains so that you can insert a photo there.
I glued the other frame with wood glue. Many are now very widely using hot glue guns and the popular glue Moment Crystal .... Oh ... Do not do this when working with paper and, in particular, with a photo album! You cannot guarantee to yourself or your customers that in 5-10 years this glue will not crumble to dust or damage the photograph! Remember - paper can only be used with the adhesive intended for it! Now there is a great choice, the same thick PVA, or for example there is absolutely inexpensive Joiner's glue - it is generally perfect, dries quickly, grabs well and does not spoil the paper!
6. Fixing the decor. Well, as I just wrote above, try to sew the whole decor))) HB thread will not damage the album, and the look will be unique, hand-made stitches will give only additional attractiveness - you must admit, this is better than hot-melt adhesive drops, just like from a Chinese conveyor ?))))
First we sew a leaf, then a sakura branch.
On the reverse side we fix the seams.
Pin the brads. Brads is such a thing, like a beautiful bead that has legs. And these legs are holding on to the paper from the back.
First, with a thick binding needle, I make a puncture in the right place.
Then I insert both legs of the brads into the puncture.
And on the back of the legs I push apart in different directions. Top is also recommended to cover with tape.
That's about how it turns out.
I stick transparent glass droplets to complete the image. Terrible evening light distorts very much (((
7. Fastening the tape. I made this procedure in a separate paragraph, because I have to work with ribbons in scrapbooking often and the process should be debugged.
Before use, the tape must be ironed so that there are no creases. Then it will not disappear anywhere and every defect in the tape will be visible to the naked eye .. Alas.
On the reverse side of the tape, glue the double-sided tape, remove the protective layer, turn the tape over and attach it evenly to the page. When sticking the tape, make sure that the tape lies perfectly straight, otherwise the tape will fix any bend!
We put on a ribbon, smoothed it, wrapped the tips on the wrong side of the page, and smoothed it again. This method will help in the future to flash pages without worrying that the tape will lie wrong. Of course, this method is optional, you can only fix the edges of the tape on the wrong side, it all depends on your idea.
Glue the frame from the set with tape and a beautiful inscription on top of the tape. Labels can be used ready-made, but you can do it yourself.
Sew flowers, and here is the result:
8. Making a box for photos. I think it’s interesting to consider how to make a mini-box for several photos. It happens that you need to put a lot of pictures on the page - how to do this optimally?
For such purposes, mini-boxes are used, consisting of 3-4 mini-pages fastened together, where you can place a photo. When folded, such a box takes up no more than 1 photo - the savings are obvious!)))
So, we take two sheets of paper with a size of 15x10 cm, and on one sheet along the long side we make a valve with a width of about 1-1.5 cm. We cut corners for the photo with a puncher on one sheet, which will be the base, and glue the cut corners to the other.
Glue the top sheet valve to the back of the base.
To the page of the album where we plan to attach the box, attach the tape or, as in this case, two differently colored waxed cords. The length should be 3-4 times the width of the box (in our case, if the box is 10 cm wide, select a tape length of 30-40 cm.).
We put on top of our box in an open form, the basis of the album page and sew on the edge on a typewriter (or with a manual seam). We bring the threads to the wrong side and fix.
Close the box and tie the cords. Everything. On the top of the box you can write something or place another photo. In this example, 3 photos can be accommodated, but you can increase the number of internal pages of the box and just put a few photos inside - the cords are tied, nothing will be lost!
This is how the rest of the album’s pages go on. The whole process takes me from 3 days to 1 week - it all depends on free time, the presence of decor, inspiration, etc.
I will dwell on the details. Sometimes on the page I want to accent some elements, for this I use bulk tape and bring the elements to a higher level.
Try and apply different materials - for example, you used a regular paper towel under a glass - stick where you need, cut off excess.
A very beautiful decor was obtained using the usual picture and lace around the edges.
Tied a bow - sewn. Very nice and no frills. By the way, when using ribbons on the edge page, be sure to process over the candle or lighter so that the slices do not crumble during use.
Butterflies from tracing paper - very simple shapes, cut out the outline of the butterfly, glue a couple more wings on top and you're done!
9. Cover. Despite the fact that the cover is the very first page of your album, it's better to do it at the very end. It should reflect the general mood of the album and it will work best when you tormented with the pages, felt them properly and can easily create a unique cover!
Choose a suitable sheet of paper (do not forget that there will also be a back cover, so everything should be harmonious), attach the tape.
It’s better to choose stronger and wider tapes for the cover, as they will be constantly pulled - open-close, etc. I fix the tape with tape, and also strengthen it from the inside.
In parallel, I work with the back cover - there is no special decor, but the tape should be at the same level as on the first cover.
I glue the lace paper to the ribbon and apply the decor details. At this stage, you can still rotate, twist, remove, add, that is, make up a composition that fully satisfies you. Next, we begin to gradually sew and glue. Somewhere I use double-sided tape, somewhere I sew, I fix with brads - I listed all the methods in detail above, nothing has changed, the principle is the same.
10. Linking pages. Fuh. We finally got to the end. Another jerk, another attempt, as they say))))
Here's a little background. First, I’ll tell you what materials I use and why.
When we created the album pages, they need to be combined. But not just like that, but to put inside, between them, something hard that will keep its shape. Many use incomprehensible cardboard, even corrugated cardboard, as far as I know, from ordinary boxes, stick it all with a thick layer of moment, rejoice and give it to the client ...
As I wrote above, these are pathetic attempts to reduce the cost of production. Buying (or picking up in the trash) a box is much simpler and cheaper than spending money on high-quality binding cardboard and the right glue for paper. Is it really profitable? Let's get a look. The cardboard used in the packaging is made of such waste that you can’t even imagine ... All of this waste is ground into flour, filled with glue and sheets of poor-quality paper are cast, from which corrugated and other packaging cardboard can then be made. I think that even without going into details, we can confidently say that such cardboard is not suitable for us, it is clearly not of archival quality and in general there is actually no quality in it.
Binding cardboard is also not all good. There are very cheap types of cardboard, which are composed of resins and acids, which can directly damage our album, even if these cardboard seals are inside the pages (believe me, a chemical reaction will occur even in this case).
Clay Moment. This is a separate song. Not only will you spoil the album with this terrible substance, you will also breathe in to the green devils in your eyes ... After all, the moment stinks terribly. Do you need it?
Here I could describe in detail the chemical composition of the materials, but this is a lot and tedious, if you are interested, you can find the information in the Internet, read, reflect on it. Or just believe me as a printing technologist. Not in vain did I learn wisdom for many years?))))
Well, I rejected all your consumables, and what to do now? How to be Where to run?
There is an exit. First, you can buy high-quality binding cardboard that meets all the requirements of scrapbooking. If you are too lazy to bother, you can use the second option, which I use almost always when making albums.
We will use plain watercolor paper. the trick here is that paper-based acids and resins also interfere with watercolor painters, so they make paper that is free of such impurities. That is, ordinary watercolor paper. In terms of density, it is of course inferior to cardboard, but in practice albums with such a basis are very popular, convenient to use, much lighter in weight and lower in cost.
So, since our album sheets were cut into A4 format, we take watercolor paper of the same format. With double-sided tape we pass a little along the edges of the sheet and in the middle. Remove the protective layer and gently place the finished album page on top. It is very important that the edges coincide. small deviations are permissible, this can be corrected later, but there should be no obvious shifts.
After we fixed the page, we turn it over, and on the reverse side of the watercolor sheet we perform the same operation - scotch, the album page.
Be careful - the pages must match the serial number! Otherwise, you will get confused!
We also glue the pages that fall on the cover to the watercolor sheet, but it is better to two - to make it denser.
After gluing the pages you should get such a sandwich:
1. Page (face up)
2. Watercolor paper
3. Page (face down)
When all the pages are stitched in pairs and a watercolor paper is laid between them, we begin to flash.
We sew on a typewriter, hands can, but for a long time. Do not forget that the pages already have ready-made elements that can be very voluminous, control the process, support with your hands somewhere, align somewhere - that is, carefully flush all the edges.
You can, of course, not stretch all the pages, but stick them with the same wood glue. But it seems to me that this method is not very convenient - firstly, glue is consumed in huge quantities, and secondly, you need to dry each page for a long time and thoroughly (in the conditions of our high humidity it is difficult to do this, the paper begins to warp if the drying failed), thirdly , if something is not glued correctly, you will have to redo the entire page, and sometimes it is simply impossible.
On the typewriter, all the edges are fixed, glued with adhesive tape inside - this is a “dry” method, you can be sure that the product is not deformed by moisture (my clients have been using albums for a long time, they say everything is fine), and if you flashed it a bit wrong, you can dissolve the seam and sew again. Well, again - the line adds coziness))
After stitching, you can make holes for fastening. We break through from the side of the spine.
I do this with the usual office puncher. For more complex holes (where you need to adjust the distance) it is certainly better to use a professional one.
Be careful - see which side you punch with a hole punch! It is easy to get confused, but it is almost impossible to fix it!
Раскрываем кольцо, надеваем по порядку странички и кольцо закрываем.
Для завершения на кольца можно повязать ленточки, кружева, надеть бусинки, если диаметр позволяет — в общем, украсить и завершить альбом такими штрихами.
Вот примерно так получится:
I tried to talk about the key points in creating this album. Of course, you can show and tell for a very long time, I will be glad to answer your questions)))
If you want to know some points in more detail, write in the comments, I will do separate small master classes specifically for each process.
What is scrapbooking
Term scrapbooking, or as it is also called "scrapbooking" comes from English scrap - clipping and book - book, i.e. literally it can be translated as "clippings book".
Scrapbooking is a type of handicraft art in which anyone makes and prepares a photo albumtelling about family history in the form of images, photographs, notes, newspaper clippings and other things that have memorable value.
It is worth noting that scrapbooking can not only be tied to the creation of a classic photo album, but also album in the form of an accordion, a house, boxes, as well as postcards.
The purpose of scrapbooking is to preserve photographs and various memorabilia about important, interesting and memorable events. for future generations.
How to make scrapbooking album
Fashionable direction in needlework allows you to design and create family and personal photo albums in various styles.
- European - a minimum of decor, the focus is on the photo and its shape.
- American - the composition consists of many elements and decorations, represents a single whole.
- Clean and simple - original solutions for free space, simplicity and accuracy.
- Shebby-chic - lace, bows and ribbons are combined with elements of drapery and scuffs.
- Vintage - the atmosphere of antiquity and the spirit of Victorian England.
In this technique, you can perform various crafts for the home
His common techniques are:
- cropping - photographs are cropped so that only the most important details remain,
- stamping - various applicators and stamps with drawings are used,
- decoupage - special pictures are transferred to paper and other surfaces,
- journalism - small inscriptions and tags with its description are placed under the photo,
- distress - uses the method of aging paper with ink.
They can use almost any material - from colored paper to dense fabrics and dried flowers. It all depends on your imagination and the topic.
The list of tools and materials that will be needed for work
Beginners often wonder - how to make scrapbooking with their own hands and where do they start? For them, there are special kits from already arranged scrap paper. For not you need special tools:
- different types of scissors for cutting,
- hole punch and dies
- sharp clerical knife,
- glue, ruler and adhesive tape,
- cutting mat
- decorative fittings.
How to make DIY scrapbooking paper
You can not buy a whole set, but make all the blanks yourself. To do this, follow the instructions on how to make DIY scrapbooking paper.
You will need - color or white cardboard, napkins with drawings for decoupage, sharp scissors, a spray with water, an iron and ironing board, cling film.
- Separate the lower layers from the napkin and iron the upper one so that there are no bends or creases.
- Lay the cardboard and evenly distribute the thermal film on it.
- Place the prepared part of the napkin on top, aligning it with the edges of the cardboard so that several millimeters of film protrude beyond the edge.
- Cover the workpiece with a clean sheet of paper or the lower layers of a napkin and iron with a hot iron.
- Turn the hot paper over so as not to dislodge the film and cut off all its excess around the perimeter.
- Iron again - if wrinkles have formed, moisten them with water and repeat the procedure until they disappear.
So you can make scrapbook paper of any size, color and thickness, with any pattern you like, significantly saving on a store set.
DIY scrapbooking album - step by step
Creating albums is a more responsible and difficult task, and at the same time incredibly exciting and interesting. If you don’t have your own ideas, you can draw them from the master classes on making scrapbooking an album with your own hands on the Internet.
Start with simple and small compositions that do not require a lot of decor, so you can practice sizing and designing sheets to make further complex work more accurate.
The choice of color and decor is a matter of taste for everyone
How to make a scrapbook do-it-yourself photo album step by step:
- Take a piece of thick white paper and divide it into 12 identical squares with a pencil and a ruler in three rows of four squares.
- Cut the leaf by separating the sectors from each other. Do not cut to the end one square on each side.
- Glue certain areas together to make a whole tape, fold it with an accordion.
- Collect an album using a washi tape or medium-sized paper for this purpose, gluing the pages so that they do not break up.
- Make a book spine - glue a strip of tape of the right size to its first and last page.
- Start decorating your album. Think in advance about its theme and photos that you put in it, create some preliminary sketches.
- You can use any means at hand - stamps and curly scissors, small sewing accessories, pieces of thread and fabric, buttons and rhinestones. But remember that the smaller the album, the less volumetric details, otherwise its appearance will be far from ideal.
- Tie the finished item with a beautiful ribbon or sew it with an unusual thread. Optionally - write your name or its name on the cover with ink or paint.
DIY cards using scrapbooking technique
Especially touching look in this style of postcard for any occasion in life.
All that is required to create an individual postcard is whatman, colored paper, scissors, glue and a little imagination. Depending on who it is intended for, its contents and form may vary.
How to make a card from scrapbooking with your own hands?
- Prepare the necessary items - colored paper, cardboard, scissors, glue, lace, ribbons, beads, artificial flowers.
- Make the base of the postcard out of thick paper, preferably from soft, double-sided cardboard. It can be colored, smooth or embossed.
- If you have a dark base, cut a piece of light paper and place it in the wish area. Use ready-made patterns to cut even shapes.
- Do not be afraid of experiments, materials with different textures. They will give your product originality.
- For beginners, there is an easier way to create your own masterpiece. In the clerical departments, ready-made thematic sets for creating postcards are sold. They include all the necessary elements for creativity.
DIY scrapbooking notepad - step-by-step instructions
Small-sized scrapbooks look neat and convenient to use, can be a good gift for a loved one.
Do it yourself scrapbooking notebook on this master class.
- Make a blank of A4 sheets to get a notebook with size A5. Fold each sheet in half and stack them in a stack of three sheets.
- Sew the construction with a thick thread, fill the seam line with glue from the bend side so that the threads lock in place and you get a neat root.
- Fix the workpiece with stationery clips and let it dry. Repeat the joint with glue and press the satin ribbon to it, so that its edges protrude on both sides - one short, the second long.
- Burn the edges of the tape with a lighter so that they do not fray. Bend the short end inward and glue it again.
- Make a binding. Cut out three cardboard shapes. corresponding to the size of the spine, front and back of the workpiece with a margin of 0.5 cm.
- Proceed to cover artwork. Place the binding details on the material that will cover your notebook - scrap paper, textile or leather. Cut off the top corners of the cardboard.
- Stretch the binding by wrapping the outer edges of the material inward. Fix them with glue. Mask the attachment points with a flyleaf - bend two sheets of thin office paper in half and glue them to the cover on both sides, first to the block, and then to the top.
- Connect the pages to the prepared block - glue the sewn folds to the spine, and then proceed to the decor.
- Make a notebook of your choice - cut out various shapes from leather or colored paper, tint pages, use lace, beads and buttons.
How to make a DIY scrapbook wedding album
All young couples want pictures from the most memorable day in their lives to be preserved for a long time. An original way to store them offers a master class wedding scrapbooking album, made by yourself.
- Create an album by selecting the size of the sheets in accordance with the format of the available photos.
- Place one picture on each sheet and design it.
- Connect sheets of watercolor paper in pairs with glue, decorate them with gold patterns or use a stencil.
- For greater effect, swipe the edges of the pages with a dry brush with gilding.
- Make separate substrates for your photos - with the same stencils, apply fragments of a pattern to them, make cuts in their corners to fix the pictures.
- Take care of the underlay for the cards - stick lace, sparkles or satin ribbon around their perimeter. Make sure that the pictures are not lost against the background of your chosen design.
- Cut the cover out of thick cardboard so that its size is slightly larger than the size of the pages themselves. Paste it with velvet by analogy with the technique given in the manufacture of a notebook. Decorate the top of the cover with an application of pearls or beads, small lace. For greater density - place a synthetic winterizer under it.
- For easy viewing of the wedding album - insert rings into it. Make identical holes in the sheets and cover with a hole punch and fix the ring attachments in them.
DIY scrapbooking flowers
The most delicate decor - various flowers
A variety of jewelry and small decorative elements allows you to create real miracles of handmade. But many needlewomen try to make various flowers and figures on their own. For those who are not afraid of difficulties - a master class on how to make flowers for scrapbooking with your own hands.
- You need - two hole punchers with 6 petals of different sizes, watercolor paper and Whatman paper, food colors, plastic stamens, cotton buds, water and glue.
- Use flower punches to make flower blanks - two large parts and one small one for one flower. Cut the parts and place them in a container of water.
- Dilute the dye in the proportion necessary to obtain the desired shade. The brighter the color, the more paint and less water, and vice versa.
- Make sure the paper elements are well saturated with moisture. Remove them from the water, put in stacks of 6 large and 3 small figures, apply diluted paint with a cotton swab.
- Drop a couple of drops in the middle of the flower, and then spread it around the edges. Press the stack of blanks on top so that the dye penetrates into all the elements and set aside to dry. To speed up the process - use a hairdryer.
- Collect dried petals with harmonica - put on the middle of the extreme petals, and the next ones in the middle.
- Glue the parts together, slightly shifting them relative to each other, place the smallest parts on top.
- Make holes in the center of the resulting blanks for the stamens. Pass them with a thin wire and fix at the base with glue.
Valentines in scrapbooking style.
Valentine's Day is a good occasion to please a loved one with a homemade card. Make valentines in scrapbooking style with your own hands. To do this, follow the above technique.
One of the most favorite holidays is Valentine's Day.
A couple of tips for those who don’t know how to make scrapbooking postcards on February 14:
- make valentines in red and pink saturated colors,
- use the symbol of the holiday heart as a form for blank or decor,
- write a frank or romantic, memorable wish,
- think over the design and prepare the necessary materials,
- do not use expensive accessories if you are making a card for the first time,
- try to do the work neat and harmonious,
- do not copy other people's ideas, bring something of your own.
Pedigree scrapbooking book
Tree album design option
The principle of operation is similar to a notebook or a wedding album. The do-it-yourself pedigree book scrapbooking differs from them in only a few nuances.
- It should have a family tree. It can be drawn by hand or executed in the form of an application.
- Under the photos of family members, it is worth indicating the names and dates of the recorded events, and putting a brief description.
- The design of the book is best performed in the styles of shabby chic or vintage, apply the techniques of journaling and distressing to it.
- It is worth taking care of the volume of the album in advance - there should be enough space in it for photos of new relatives.
And yet - do not be greedy and share on social networks!
This is the best thanks for us ...