After buying a bicycle for a long period, you do not have to restore the paintwork.
However, after several months of active use, there is a need for painting. It is important not only to prepare the frame accordingly, but also to choose the right paint.
How to paint a bicycle frame
Follow the steps below to paint the bicycle frame:
1. Remove all removable bicycle parts that you will not paint: carriage, handlebar, fork, etc. Cover with masking tape those parts of the frame on which there is a thread, you can tighten the bolts there.
- Disassemble the bike carefully. The steering column (this is the place where the steering wheel and fork are mounted on the frame) is difficult to disassemble. Write down or, if possible, remove the disassembly process and the location of all components in order to facilitate the work of assembling the bicycle after painting. Please note - bearing cups must also be removed when painting the frame. For this, special tools are needed to remove bearing cups without damage. If you have any problems, then contact the master to help you disassemble the bike.
- When assembling the bicycle after painting, apply special bearing grease to the bicycle and the internal mechanisms of the bicycle to protect these elements from wear.
2. Degrease the surface of the bicycle frame. To do this, you can use a degreasing agent, as well as a special automotive wipe.
3. With medium-grain paper (about 80 grit), remove all paint from the bicycle elements so that a smooth surface is obtained. Read the tips in the Tips section.
- If the bike frame is made of carbon fiber, then do not rub sandpaper over its surface. In this case, it is necessary that a thin layer of paint remains on the frame.
- If dents are present on the surface of the frame, you can now eliminate them by applying a special putty or mastic to make a smooth surface. After the putty has dried, sand the surface with sandpaper and remove any dust that has formed.
4. Hang the bike by the steering wheel of the bike frame, so the paint will not leak into the carriage. For this purpose, a clothesline or soft flexible wire is suitable. The room in which you plan to carry out work should be well ventilated and illuminated.
5. For better painting, a thin coat of primer must be applied before applying a coat of paint. Be sure to follow the instructions that are indicated on the spray can (as a rule, paint should be sprayed at a distance of 20 cm from the surface that is being painted). Start painting with seams and a carriage on the frame, because these places are the most inaccessible. Wait 15-20 minutes before applying the next coat of paint. You may need to apply several coats of paint to completely cover the surface to be painted.
- Buy the primer of the desired color, the final color of the frame will depend on the color of the primer. The primer must be resistant to corrosion or contain an anti-corrosion additive (indicated in the instructions).
- If the frame is aluminum, it is necessary to use a special primer, which closes the pores in aluminum and does not spoil the surface during subsequent painting.
- When applying a primer, be sure to use a respirator and safety goggles as a means of individual protection (especially if the work takes place outdoors - gusts of wind can spray paint into the eyes). It is also advisable to use protective gloves to avoid negative effects on the skin.
6. After painting, leave the frame in the same position for 24 hours. Try not to stick around the paint, as it can be easily damaged.
7. Sanding primer with 220 grit paper. It is necessary to obtain a smooth surface so that the next coat of paint gently “lies”.
8. Now let's start painting the bike with a spray can. Apply a basic coat of paint to the surface of the frame. The frame must be free of dust and grease. Follow the instructions when applying paint. Apply a thin coat of paint to form a uniform coating. If your frame should be multi-colored, then first apply a lighter paint in several layers to form a flat surface (you need to apply 3-4 layers). Then cover with the masking tape that part of the frame that remains light and apply a darker color paint.
9. As the paint dries, sand the surface of the frame with sanding paper with a grain size in the region of 1200. So-called wet sanding must be performed, this is a prerequisite for finishing the surface. This is done so that the sanding paper is not stuck with particles of peeling paint. A glass cleaner is used to perform wet sanding. Spray the glass cleaner onto the painted surface and grind the surface. The surface on which such final grinding is carried out must be wet throughout the process. Thanks to this process, the sanding surface becomes dull, which gives better adhesion to the varnish. After the varnish is applied, the paint will shine perfectly.
10. Label the bike as desired. As you apply the varnish, the stickers will be firmly protected. Stickers with logos of the main bicycle manufacturers and others can be found online or in the bike shop.
11. Varnish should be applied as well as paint, two or three layers will need to be applied. Make sure that the varnish is not sprayed too far from the surface to be varnished, because this may cause roughness.
12. Paint all parts of the bicycle, applying all of the above steps in turn: the steering wheel, fork and other parts. Let the varnish dry for a week. It is not recommended to assemble the bike before it dries completely, as varnish or fresh paint may be damaged.
13. Everything, work on painting the bike is completed!
- During wet sanding work, do not wipe the paint. Periodically wipe the grinding surface with a cloth to control the process. Try to remove irregularities and not remove excess.
- Before applying a standard primer, the aluminum surface must first be etched with a self-etching primer, which must be applied in a thin layer.
- To clean from old paint, a metal brush nozzle for a drill is suitable. You can use an angle grinder with a wire-shaped brush for this purpose (it cannot be used on an aluminum frame).
- To easily remove rust from the iron frame, you can use a special anti-rust agent.
- To remove paint, you can contact the sandblasting technician (just get a guarantee that the frame will not be damaged after processing).
- Use a building hot air gun and spatula to quickly remove paint. This is the safest and easiest way.
- Try not to use paints from different manufacturers (the same applies to primer and varnish). Paints from different manufacturers can react with each other.
- Let the paint dry for more than 24 hours, do not install any accessories on the frame, you may damage fresh paint.
- To remove labels from the frame, try not to use solvent; the adhesive from the label may be smeared and it will be even more difficult to remove it.
- Use protective equipment when working with solvents and paints, as these substances are usually harmful and can cause skin burns.
What do you need
- Bicycle for painting.
- Tools for disassembling a bicycle (screwdrivers, wrenches, etc.).
- Sandpaper (grit size 80, 220 and 1200).
- Glass cleaning fluid.
- Blade or clerical knife to remove old logos / stickers.
- Construction dryer (as an option to remove old stickers).
- Masking tape (for the possibility of painting in different colors).
- Wire or clothesline for hanging the frame.
- Primer (one or two spray cans if the bike is large).
- Paint selected colors (one or two spray cans if the bike is large).
- Transparent varnish (one spray can).
- A clean, well-ventilated and well-lit room, you can work outdoors in the shade.
In conclusion, watch the video how to paint a bicycle (bicycle frame) at home
Paint for a bicycle - which one to choose?
Before painting the frame directly, paint should be selected.
Among the recommendations, we note the following:
- On sale there are spray cans with ready-made paint. They are inexpensive, fairly easy to use.
- If necessary, you can take exclusive paint, which is sold in specialized stores. It costs a little more, can be sold for bottling whether in cans.
- Application of paint, which is sold for bottling, can only be carried out with a compressor and a spray gun. For a bicycle, 150-200 grams is enough.
- When using acrylic paint, a hardener is required, for the base - a varnish with a hardener.
On sale there is a paint of the following manufacturers:
How to paint a bicycle - instructions
You can paint the bike yourself. In this case, the procedure takes only a few hours, work should be carried out in a prepared garage.
Painting is carried out independently due to the fact that there is an opportunity to seriously save. The cost of one spray is only a few hundred rubles.
For independent painting requires a certain set of tools.
He is as follows:
- Wrenches and screwdrivers required to disassemble the frame.
- Means for degreasing the surface.
- Emery paper with grit from 80 to 1200.
- Primer, which is characterized by increased resistance to high humidity.
- In case of use of pouring paint, air gun.
- Special varnish designed for metal.
Preparation for painting
The preparatory phase should be given quite a lot of attention.
It is carried out as follows:
- To begin with, all parts that will not be painted are removed from the bicycle. At the time of the work, you need to be careful, since too much load can lead to deformation.
- Parts of the frame that are threaded must be protected. To do this, they are glued with a special masking tape.
- Adhesive tape protects all logos and labels. In this case, you need to cut the tape on the principle of a stencil.
Stripping old paint
In order for the new paint to fit well, a thorough removal of the old should be done.
The main recommendations are the following:
- The first stage involves the use of abrasive material, the granularity of which is P240. Then use P320 and P400, P800.
- Often there is a situation where there are signs of corrosion on the surface. They are thoroughly treated with an abrasive, as otherwise the paint will lie poorly.
In order to keep the paint well on the surface and evenly distributed, a primer should first be applied.
Among the features, we note the following points:
- Soil mixes are sold in dry form. To obtain a plastic composition, you must follow the manufacturer's instructions.
- The correct consistency is one in which the primer flows smoothly from the brush. If the solution is too thick, then it is diluted with solvent.
Qualitatively cover the frame with a primer when using a pneumatic gun. It is also possible to apply the composition with a brush, but to achieve high quality is quite difficult.
In direct application of paint, the importance of uniform distribution of the composition should be considered. After drying the paint, you need to pay attention to the fact that you need to apply 2-3 layers of varnish. This substance is intended to protect paint.
Among the features of the procedure, we note:
- Often varnish is applied by spray.
- It is not recommended to keep the spray gun in close proximity to the frame. Otherwise, there is a possibility of roughness.
How to paint the wheels and trunk?
Trunk and wheels can also be painted.
Among the features of this procedure, we note the following:
- The trunk should be dismantled.
- Spray paint is suitable for such a procedure.
- It is possible to exclude the possibility of a substance getting onto the tire by pasting it over the rim.
Before painting, the surface should be cleaned of contaminants. In addition, you need to remove the old paint with abrasive material.
How to paint a bike without disassembling?
In some cases, disassembling a bicycle is difficult. That is why many are considering how to paint a bike without disassembling.
Among the features of this procedure, we note the following:
- It is necessary to protect all elements that are not painted. Therefore, a large amount of adhesive tape is required.
- Most problems arise with elements adjacent to each other. The resulting gap is quite difficult to handle.
Qualitatively painting a bicycle indiscriminately is difficult. If rust has appeared on the surface, then complete disassembly and removal of all traces of rust must be performed.
After the base is applied and well dried, you can already paint the bike. For this, you can use ordinary car paint from a spray can. It is quite convenient to use, and it is easy to find in any specialized store.
The paint is applied in a thin layer in several stages to obtain a uniform coating. Paint should be applied in small short strokes at a distance of 15-20 cm from the surface. It is usually recommended to leave the painted product for a day, but it is better to give it more time to dry better.
It is best to leave the bicycle frame and other parts to dry in limbo, in the position in which they painted. If this is not possible, you should carefully lay the frame, for example, on newspapers or film, so as not to damage the layer of fresh paint.
After complete drying, the paint should be polished with a zero sandpaper, moistened with water or a glass cleaner. The surface of the bicycle frame must remain moist throughout this process. Polishing will prepare the surface for the next step - varnishing. It is applied in two, or better, in three layers and dries for a total of about a week.
- For better color reproduction, you should first paint the bike with white paint, and then apply the main color. If it is with a metallic tint, you can take as a basis not silver, but silver paint,
- If the bike is painted in several colors, you should remember that first you should apply a lighter tone, and then darker,
- If various stickers are planned, it’s best to stick them until varnished - so they will hold on more reliably,
- Various drawings and inscriptions should be done exclusively on a stencil - this will help to avoid unnecessary mistakes,
- It is better to refrain from mixing paints from different manufacturers - they can have a different composition and interact poorly with each other, which can lead to stains and swellings.
Do not prematurely assemble the bike, as this can damage the freshly painted surface. You should wait a while, and it’s better not to touch the bike for a couple of days longer than the manufacturers of paint or varnish advise - then there will be confidence that when assembling the bike, the fresh coating will definitely not be damaged.