A really good question: where to start your yoga class? And the first thing that comes to mind is almost the all-knowing Google, Yandex or any other search engine. And the first thing you come across is a huge amount of information, from which your eyes run wide.
If we talk about yoga from scratch, then usually it is hatha, ashtanga or other types of complexes of asanas. More serious practices, such as pranayama and meditation, it is better to start practicing with an experienced teacher.
So for now, we will only talk about asanas. And in order not to become covered with dust at the screen, sorting through all sorts of options, and not to lose the desire to do yoga, read a few simple tips:
1. Check out contraindications and minimal preparation. There are not so many contraindications: it’s either injuries / diseases (then it is better to consult a doctor), or “special” body conditions (critical days, pregnancy) - in this case, choose the appropriate complex of asanas. The most necessary rules for yoga for beginners include the following items:
- an hour and a half before class do not eat tightly, you can fruit, sour-milk drinks, that is, that is digested easily and quickly (within 15-20 minutes),
- in the morning and in the afternoon it is better to perform active asanas complexes that warm the body, in the evening - slow, calm, preparing you for sleep,
- exercise on a soft rug, on a flat surface,
- the clothes should be soft, not tight enough so that you can fully breathe in it and freely perform twists and bends,
- take care in advance to remove all factors distracting you (turn off the phone, send pets for a walk to other rooms, ask relatives not to bother you),
- ventilate the room well: you will have to breathe actively.
Everything else will work out during your practice.
It is worth writing separately about full-fledged deep, even, slow breathing: such breathing is the basis of yoga! During the day we use only part of the volume of the lungs, so at least an hour, a half or two try to breathe full lungs so that you can gradually develop them and eventually move on to more complex yoga techniques - kriyas, bandhas, pranayamas, etc. And one more nuance: the calmer and deeper your breath in the lesson, the less extraneous thoughts will distract you from the asanas and the easier it will be for you to endure discomfort on the rug, and after yoga you will be able to feel that the mind has calmed down and rested from everyday worries.
Yoga at home
2. Pick up a complex of asanas. For yoga from scratch at home, really appreciate your capabilities in the first lesson. I mean, how much free time do you have, or how long can you puff on a rug? Whether it will be 15–20 minutes or an hour and a half — choose a video complex of suitable length for yourself. Many asanas are performed symmetrically on the right and left sides: you should not give up classes in half and work out only one. Also evaluate your preparation: if it is very difficult, you will be disappointed in yourself and, perhaps, will come up with an excuse to quit your yoga classes at home (you are too old, perhaps you are not so slim, what the instructor does is not realistic at all (.) you don’t have time, it’s too complicated, etc.), but if you know that you have a rather flexible body, do not take very simple complexes: you will be bored and your body will not feel the load.
3. After a certain amount of home yoga classes, that pleasant moment usually comes when you want to make practice regular. If you have a certain stable mode of life (your work schedule), it may be a little easier for you to choose those days when the load is minimal and there is free time. People with a flexible schedule will be a little more difficult, however, try to go out for 2-3 lessons per week for 1.5 hours. These figures are averaged, over time, you yourself will choose for yourself the number and duration of your practices. If your plans change and there is no time, try to complete at least a couple of simple but effective asanas within 10-15 minutes per day. So you and your body will get used to yoga and feel that you yourself will want to practice more often.
4. My experience shows that if a person is already ready to do asanas, then he cannot but like yoga, a yoga teacher may not be suitable for him. Therefore, if you decide that some complex of asanas or a teaching methodology is not suitable for you, try the classes of different instructors, and you are sure to find the right one for you.
5. When you already try to do yoga yourself at home on video lessons, you will most likely understand that some asanas do not work out as correctly as with a teacher. This will not be a completely correct remark: it is impossible to “correctly” rebuild asanas, because each of you is different, everyone has a different physiology, the proportions of your arms / legs / body, maybe someone has injuries acquired over their lives. Never forget about it, do not “tie yourself in knots” by force, breaking your body. In my hatha yoga classes, I recommend leaving your eyes closed for as long as possible: this will allow you to concentrate on your body specifically, not to look at or compare yourself with others, but rather to feel every asana.
6. And the last thing I would like to advise to everyone who masters yoga at home from scratch - be sure to study the moral and ethical foundations of yoga (pit) and the rules of self-discipline (niyama). Do not be afraid right away when you start reading or watching a video about it, no one forces you to change all aspects of your life in one day. From my own experience I can say: it’s worth changing the lifestyle gradually, then there will be no “breakdowns”, and even if they happen, calmly and even joyfully accept them, because only the one who does nothing makes no mistakes. But you are working on yourself, and mistakes or inaccuracies are inevitable. Do not try to change several habits at the same time: your mind cannot immediately control different tasks. Set goals in front of you one by one, overcoming one after another. If for some time there is no progress, for example, in giving up meat, try something else - give up coffee and sugar. And after a while, return to undesirable habits again to try your hand again.
Yoga is a long, fascinating journey, in which there will be many interesting moments and sometimes unexpected discoveries. And starting today your first lesson at home on the rug, you will soon be surprised at what your body and your mind are capable of.
How yoga is different from gymnastics
Yoga in the full sense of the word suggests a special way of life, following which you can achieve complete enlightenment, absolute harmony in everything.
A person who has decided to seriously engage in yoga should understand: now he will have to reconsider his life principles, say goodbye to bad habits (alcohol, smoking and yoga are incompatible things), and it will take a lot of time to master the practice, so be patient.
Yoga teaching requires a rethinking of life principles, the ability to control your emotions, feelings through meditation and concentration. Without this, simple yoga at home will turn into ordinary gymnastics with a set of specific exercises aimed at improving the functions of certain organs and forming an ideal figure.
What is the use of yoga?
How to start doing yoga at home from scratch? Before answering this question, you need to consider what effect it has on human health.
Experts argue that the benefits of yoga exercises can be felt after two months of classes, provided that they were carried out systematically.
Yoga at home allows you to heal from diseases:
- the spine, therefore, it is recommended for stages 1,2,3 of scoliosis,
- heart and blood vessels
- Gastrointestinal tract
- in the field of gynecology,
- thyroid gland.
During classes, a kind of massage of the organs responsible for the vital activity of the whole organism as a whole is carried out, so the process of its healing and strengthening of the immune system
Yoga makes the body plastic, gait easy and graceful, it activates metabolism, therefore, losing weight is one of the results of classes.
Yoga asanas fill a person with positive energy, make him balanced and resistant to stress.
Yoga Classes: Contraindications
Doing yoga at home or under the guidance of an instructor has a number of contraindications that must be considered in order to avoid undesirable consequences. However, even physical therapy has prohibitions, so this is not surprising. So, you can not do yoga with:
- schizophrenia and other mental disorders,
- chronic diseases, especially during an exacerbation,
- serious spinal injuries
- malignant neoplasms,
- arthritis and other joint diseases,
- colds, flu
A ban on classes is imposed in the case of a recent surgery, pregnancy in the third trimester. Women during menstruation can do, but exercises should exclude complex twisting and deflection.
In any case, yoga lessons at home should begin only after consultation with a specialist. If during exercise the health condition worsens, dizziness begins, or the heartbeat intensifies, classes should be discontinued and a doctor should be consulted.
Also, home yoga classes should be postponed if you have recently consumed alcohol, are very tired, and are in a state of extreme nervous tension.
Can beginners do yoga at home?
No one will dispute the fact that it is better to train under the guidance of an experienced instructor. Experts say that the initial stage is considered the most difficult in yoga, and an attempt to learn the basics on your own can lead to the fact that the results do not live up to expectations. It is quite difficult for a beginner to realize how to start doing yoga at home, to perform exercises and, most importantly, to do them consistently so that harmony is not broken.
Yoga Poses for Beginners at Home
However, we do not always have time to go to group classes, and not everyone wants this, so home yoga is becoming more and more popular. This also has its advantages, for example, exercises can be performed at any time - in the morning or in the evening, independently adjust the frequency, pace and intensity of the training, master the complexes as you wish and choose the one you like best.
In addition, you can create a cozy corner at home so that classes bring true pleasure. Yes, and clothes you can choose at your discretion, the main thing is that it does not hinder movements.
Beginners are often shy of clumsy actions, especially when they see the training of more experienced yogis. Studying at home, a person gains the opportunity to improve each asana without focusing on others, concentrating exclusively on his feelings and observing the reaction of his body to a certain load.
Fortunately, today yoga classes for beginners at home are available online so that you can practice online.
Each yoga class at home for beginners will require patience and discipline. Very often, inexperienced yogis, not seeing the result, conclude that training is useless and stop doing gymnastics, so high motivation is very important.
What exercises are suitable for beginners
Specialists in such a complex teaching as yoga argue that the answer to the question of where to start practicing at home is the same for women and men.
Yoga poses for beginners should be simple and complicated as you learn the practice. Yoga advises beginners a simple but effective complex of asanas for practicing at home, such as, for example, “Greeting to the Sun”, which is recommended at any stage of mastering the practice.
Yoga Poses for Beginners at Home
“Surya Namaskar” (this is the second name of the complex) includes 12 asanas. They successively and continuously replace each other. All muscles participate in the process, consciousness is cleared.
The first yoga poses for beginners at home can be mastered without the help of an experienced trainer, because they are very simple. Even if you do it wrong, they will be useful and teach you to understand your body and learn complex asanas.
Yoga at home for beginners should include the following exercises.
- Stand up straight, straighten your shoulders, straighten your back.
- Stretch your arms up, then pull them behind your head so that your chest opens as much as possible. The movements should be smooth.
- Place foot bent at the knee with the foot.
Asana teaches to maintain balance and develops a sense of balance, an even posture and strengthens the spine.
- Get down on the floor.
- Place heels under the buttocks so that the hips feel the body.
- Relax your arms and stretch them forward.
This exercise relieves tension on the neck and muscles of the buttocks.
- Lean forward and touch the floor with your palms.
- Raise your pelvis and step back with your heels. You should feel how the weight is distributed evenly between the feet and hands.
- Head down.
This exercise strengthens the muscles of the pelvis, legs, and relieves tension from the back and shoulders.
Now that you have learned how to do yoga at home, you can learn new poses, gradually moving to more complex asanas. To become an experienced yogi, you need to constantly improve in physical and moral terms, only if this condition is met, you can achieve complete harmony in your soul.