Sushi began to gain its popularity from the 7th century. With the development of technologies to simplify cooking in the early 1980s, special sushi robots appeared that could replace hundreds of professional sushi cooks. Despite the widespread belief that only a person should cook this dish, robots are gradually replacing people in their workplaces.
Sushi is a traditional Japanese dish. They are prepared from boiled rice seasoned with various vinegars, any seafood of your choice and other savory products. Despite the variety of ingredients, this dish can be classified as low-calorie. Sushi is an example of a balanced diet containing a variety of minerals and vitamins. Thanks to this diet, a person is able to get rid of extra pounds, put in order digestion, maintain the beauty of nails, hair and teeth.
Seafood used in the preparation of sushi is not subjected to prolonged heat treatment, so that all useful substances are preserved. These include potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, iodine, fluorine and B vitamins that improve the state of the nervous system. Also polyunsaturated fatty acids found in fish help prevent the occurrence of cardiovascular disease and atherosclerosis. Rice is also added to fish, as one of the main components of land, its beneficial elements are an excellent source of energy. Due to its content of proteins, carbohydrates, fiber and iron, digestion is improved and the body is cleansed.
How to cook rice on sushi?
The Japanese approach the process of cooking rice with special care, since it is believed that if, as a result of cooking, rice does not have a pronounced taste, then this will adversely affect the general condition of the land. Undercooked rice will give a feeling of incompleteness, and overcooked just can not be properly designed.
Like any cereal, rice must be thoroughly washed before cooking. Do this in running water until it becomes clear. To achieve this result, you have to rinse about 7 times, or even more. Also, the Japanese usually immediately remove the pop-up rice, since it is believed that they are of poor quality and are not suitable for further use. It is worth getting rid of all sorts of garbage in the form of black particles of poorly peeled cereals.
The ratio of water and cereals during cooking should be equal to 1: 1.5. This proportion is considered ideal so that the rice does not boil and retains its shape. Before cooking, a small cube of nori seaweed, or a different combo, is placed in cold water. This is necessary to give the cereal a special flavor. Before boiling it must be removed so as not to spoil the taste of the rice itself.
A traditional rice cooking recipe uses vinegar dressing. After the croup is cooked and becomes room temperature, it is poured with special vinegar, while delicately overturning rice. In no case should you begin to interfere with the cereal, since it will stick together and as a result it will turn into slurry.
How to cook ginger for sushi?
Pickled ginger is necessary to disinfect the mouth and get rid of microorganisms that may be contained in fresh fish, as well as to kill the taste of the next sushi from the previous one.
- Ginger root
- Rice vinegar, ¼ cup
- Salt, 2 tablespoons
- Sugar, 3 tablespoons
- Ginger root is well peeled and cut into small pieces, after which they are placed in a glass container.
- Stir vinegar, salt, sugar and boil the mixture to a boil over low heat.
- Season the chopped ginger with the resulting marinade and let it brew for about 2 hours.
How to cook rolls at home
p, blockquote 4,0,0,0,0,0 -> p, blockquote 5,0,0,0,0,1 ->
- Any recipe for making rolls begins with cooking the main component - rice. We remind you that the technology of making rice in Japanese cuisine is different from the usual method for us. The washed rice grains are boiled with a tightly closed lid over moderate heat until the moisture evaporates completely, and after cooking they are necessarily soaked with a special dressing. Detailed instructions are described in the article "How to cook rice for sushi and rolls."
- Next, proceed directly to the formation of the Japanese dish. To do this, wrap the mat with cling film, cut nori sheets in half. We distribute rice that has cooled down to room temperature in a thin layer on the rough surface of Japanese algae. We leave a free space of about 1 cm from one edge, and on the other hand, we “step in” rice grains beyond the border of a nori leaf. Periodically wet the palms with water so that the sticky rice does not stick to the fingers.
- Carefully take the nori for the edge free of rice and turn it over to the other side. We are now laying on a smooth surface several thin slices of cucumber. Distribute 1-2 tbsp. tablespoons of cheese. For a change in a stuffing it is possible to add a feather of a green onion.
- We cut the fish with plates, removing all large and small bones. You can cook rolls at home with salmon, slightly salted salmon, trout and any other red fish - there are no restrictions. We place some bright fish pieces to the remaining components of the filling.
- Now we have the most crucial stage ahead - folding our workpiece into a tight roll. We start from the edge of a nori, on which there is no rice. We lift the mat, covering the entire filling with part of the nori sheet, then make another revolution. As a result, you should get a monotonous, moderately tight roll. For a beginner in the field of Japanese cuisine, this process may seem complicated, but there is nothing incomprehensible here: only practice is necessary.
- With a mat, we give the roll the desired shape (round or square), and then cut into 6 or 8 pieces. It is important to remember that only a sharp knife is suitable for this: with a dull blade, it is almost impossible to cut rolls nicely.
- To give the rolls a presentable look, you can use sesame seeds, tobiko caviar and much more. Serve rolls with soy sauce poured into a small bowl. Marinated ginger and a small portion of Wasabi spicy sauce will complement the Japanese dish.As you can see, the recipe for making rolls is quite affordable. The main thing here is to practice folding rolls, but otherwise everything is extremely simple. For a change experiment with filling and design. Good appetite!
How to cook sushi / rolls at home?
Rice for sushi - 1 cup
Chicken breast fillet - 1-1.5 pcs.
Curd cheese - 100-150 g
Salted salmon - to taste
Fresh cucumber - 1 pc.
Cream cheese - to taste
Mayonnaise - for sauce
Garlic - 1 clove
Hard cheese - 50 g
Soy sauce - to taste
Round grain rice - 200 g
Cream cheese - to taste
Hard cheese - 60 g
Green onion - optional
Soy Sauce - Served
Rice dressing for 400 g of boiled cereals:
Rice vinegar can be used as a dressing for fish to disinfect it and get rid of the infections present in it. Vinegar is also used as a dressing for rice, so that the cereal is sticky enough and keeps its shape. In addition, due to the specific smell, rice is given a special aroma.
Two types of rice vinegar can be distinguished:
- Chinese vinegar. More suitable for dressing salads and fish dishes. It has a bright sour flavor and a little pungent.
- Japanese vinegar. Recommended for sushi and rolls. It has a pleasant sweet flavor, goes well with rice and seafood.
Special rice vinegars are quite expensive and not easy to find in ordinary stores. However, you can use cheaper analogues, for example, apple, wine or table vinegar. It should be borne in mind that ordinary dressings have not only a mild taste like rice, so it is important not to overdo it and use them only to slightly sprinkle rice and fish.
First, cook rice for sushi. For 1 glass of rice we take 1.5 glasses of water, put on a big fire. As soon as the rice boils, reduce the heat to a minimum and cook for 15 minutes. After the time has passed, turn off the hotplate, let the rice stand for a while (10 minutes).
At this time, we make a dressing for rice. To do this, mix 2 tablespoons of rice vinegar with 1.5 teaspoon of salt without a slide and 1 teaspoon of sugar also without a slide.
Add dressing to the cooled rice and mix gently.
Now proceed to the formation of sushi. On the mat we put the nori with its bumpy side up. We wet our hands with water, put a couple of spoons of rice on a nori. Fingers evenly distribute rice over the entire surface of the nori. If your hands are not moistened with water, then the rice will stick to your fingers.
We spread our filling on rice. In the first case, it is red fish, avocado, cucumber and cream cheese.
When preparing sushi with crab sticks, spread the sticks, avocado, cucumber and cream cheese.
Next, using the mat, we form a roll. It must be tight and resilient. It’s difficult to show how to spin the roll from the photo, so we offer you a video of making sushi at home a little lower.
Cut the resulting roll into 6-8 parts
Sushi with fish decorate with red caviar.
Serve sushi with soy sauce, ginger, sesame seeds.
How to Cook Philadelphia at Home
Philadelphia is considered the best choice to start making sushi at home. The ingredients are simple and can be found in the nearest stores, in addition, they are easily replaced by analogues.
- Rice -2 cups,
- Fish, preferably salmon - 700 g,
- Avocado -1 pcs.,
- Cucumber - 1 pc.,
- Rice vinegar or its analogue - 60 ml,
- Sugar - 2 tablespoons,
- Salt is one spoon
- Nori - 3 pcs Philadelphia Cheese - 400 g,
- Additives to taste: wasabi, ginger, soy sauce.
Boil the rice and leave to cool.
For the marinade, add vinegar, salt, sugar and heat everything over low heat until boiling. Pour the resulting mixture of rice.
Avocado and cucumber cut into small cubes.
Prepare a mat for sushi, covering it with cling film. Place a nori sheet on top so that the matte surface is on top.
Spread the rice on the surface of the prepared sheet. Cover and turn everything with a rug.
Put cheese on a nori, place an avocado and a cucumber on top.
Form a roll by lifting the bottom edge of the mat and rolling it a little. Set the roll aside.
Place fish on the mat, after cutting it into slices.
Put a rice roll on top. Roll the mat by gently pressing on it.
Divide the resulting workpiece first in the middle, then into 3 equal parts on each side.
Tips & Tricks
- The best way to make sushi is to use the cereal of the Mistral or Yaponka varieties; they are considered to be analogues of rice used by the Japanese. If you cannot find something similar in the stores, then you can use the round-grain view of rice. It softens well, so it’s perfect for making sushi.
- It is important to use glass or ceramic dishes for cooking ginger, in no case metal.
- Ready pickled ginger is recommended to be stored in the refrigerator for no longer than 3 months.
Sushi is good because it causes a quick saturation, despite its small size. Due to the huge content of various vitamins and amino acids in the components used, a person not only satisfies the hunger, but also supplies his body with useful substances. Moreover, such fast food is much preferable as a snack than the same burgers and sandwiches.
In the article you will find:
Rolls are rice rolls that are wrapped in a nuri leaf. The amount of rice is relatively small, and often more than the filling, which, as mentioned above, can be different. This dish is served not only cold, the rolls can be baked and it is also delicious.
Preparing delicious sushi or rolls so that they look beautiful, as in the picture, is not so difficult as it seems at first glance. Of course, here you need to practice a bit and understand what's what. If your hands grow from the right place and as a child did at least some kind of motor skills (let's sculpt with plasticine), then you will succeed with ease. And if everything is so bad with hands, there is reason to train them. Forward.
Mini rolls step by step recipe with photo
To make any rolls, you need a bamboo mat, food-grade cellophane film, nori leaves - these are thin pressed algae. All this can now be easily bought at any hypermarket.
1. Prepare a bamboo mat. It is better if it consists of round sticks, but flat ones are also suitable. We wrap the mat in cellophane, all completely and quite tightly. Japanese cooks, of course, do not, but I would advise. Rice will not stick to the board in such a way, and for hygiene purposes, it will not hurt.
2. So - as we have mini rolls, take a sheet of nori and cut it in half, this can be done with a knife or scissors ..
3. We put the nori sheet with the rough side up, respectively smooth on the mat, stepping back from the beginning of the board 1 - 1.5 centimeters.
4. Dipped in water with lemon hands, spread specially prepared rice in a thin layer on a sheet. We distribute the rice so that the top of the nori leaf remains unclosed, about one centimeter, and from the bottom, the same centimeter of rice should protrude beyond the sheet. We look at the photo.
5. We ram the rice tightly, remove excess, induce beauty, because we need to get a beautiful final product.
6. We spread your stuffing that you prepared: a piece of good fish, fresh or pickled cucumber, avocado, of course, it's all cut into pieces. Put the pieces approximately on the border of the intersection of rice and nori, closer to the beginning of the rice.
Now, the wrapping itself, it is approximately done in 3-4 stages.
Do not forget to wet your fingers in water with lemon.
7. Take the mat, our task now is to cover and wrap the filling with the initial layer of rice, which does not lie on the nori. Gently wrap the rice, squeeze it. (I hope I clearly described it ...)
You can expand the mat and it should be, as in the photo below, the filling is wrapped, and the sheet of nori still remains.
8. We looked, everything is fine! Then we wrap the roll, closing the remaining rice.
9. Turn it around again, leave a small strip of nori not wrapped, moisten it with water and finally seal the roll tightly.
10. You should get a beautiful sausage. Now you can cut it with a knife into portions. Moisten the knife with water.
What did we do? And it turned out a neatly rolled mini-roll, standard, which is sold in all sushi bars. As you can see there is nothing complicated.
If you master and understand the principle of wrapping, then everything will go further, like clockwork. We go further in increasing order.
How to wrap rolls - large and inverted
Min rolls are good, but I want to feel a more rich and varied taste. This can be achieved by putting more filling in the roll. You can wrap a large roll classically, that is, rice with filling will be wrapped with a sheet of nori, or you can turn the dish inside out. I will not describe the first option in detail, since it is similar to the mini method, but with an inverted roll there are some nuances. But there’s nothing complicated.
1. For a large roll we take, respectively, a large sheet of nori, whole. We put it on a bamboo board, as in the first version, with the rough side up, stepping back from the edge of the mat.
2. Spread the rice, as with the option above, condense and put the filling that you have chosen.
I specifically do not give exact, classic recipes like California, Philadelphia, Miami and. etc., because they mean preparing them using only certain ingredients. And this is not always affordable, it is not always possible to purchase it in a store. Again, by turning on fantasy, you can get by with more affordable products for making delicious, home-made rolls.
3. Wrap the roll again in three stages, cover the filling with rice, condense, completely wrap the rice, leaving a small strip of nori, wet it and finally wrap it, forming a dense, rectangular or round roll.
We cut the finished product with a knife and everything should turn out something like this:
The ingredients used here are: Fish, cheese, fresh cucumber, green onions. Such a roll can be baked in the oven, previously pouring sauce on top. Delicious! And I will give such a recipe, below.
We proceed to the formation of the so-called inverted roll. here, only the beginning of the process is different, but to wrap it up, it's the same.
1. Cut about a quarter of the nori sheet, put it on the mat.
2. Here we put the rice differently. If we take the view "on our own", then we will leave a centimeter of the sheet first, and shift the excess of rice to the mat at the end (I hope it is clear, the photo will help ...).
3. Rigidly rammed rice (involuntarily the association arose on the word "rammed", and you ...) and with a flick of the wrist, we turn this blinded work, like this,
4. Then everything goes according to the old plan, we impose the filling, again I do not give strict recipes. A stormy fantasy, I hope, will not fail.
5. The principle of folding such a roll is slightly different, but not critical. Here you need the first stage of the filling, holding with your fingers, try to wrap the dangling end of the nori sheet.
It should turn out, here the filling completely went under the sheet and now it remains to cover it with rice.
6. Turn the roll to the end, compacting it and giving it a certain shape.
Рулет готов, но как-то смотрится не очень. Обязательно его надо украсить по типу классических образцов. You can sprinkle sesame seeds on top, you can put caviar, a leaf of green salad, also suitable. I will propose to decorate with pieces of salted trout.
And this is all that was considered as recipes, only in portions, it looks quite attractive and appetizing.
If we say that it is easier to cook rolls or sushi, then the second one will certainly be simpler, but no less tasty and the filling can be used varied.
Cooking delicious sushi at home.
Before making sushi, cut a dense nori leaf with scissors into thin strips, half a centimeter long and 4-5 cm thick. Rice has already been cooked and is waiting for its fate.
Watch out. so that rice is not particularly hot, it will add unpleasant warmth to the fish and not be too cold, it will stick together poorly. The temperature of the prepared rice should match your body temperature.
1. Wet hands in slightly acidified water and roll out a small, oblong lump from rice, form and tighten a little.
2. Put fish or vegetables and fruits on top of it and dress it with a thin strip of nori, slightly moistening its ends with water.
3. Grease with sauce, lightly sprinkle with sesame seeds. Done!
Why did we need to cut off a wide strip of nuri leaf? Stuffed sushi - it can be caviar, seafood, minced fish with various sauce.
1. We form a small cricket of rice.
2. Wrap it with a wide strip of nori, wetting the ends we fix.
3. Put the filling inside the sushi, on top you can decorate with herbs or sauce, cheese.
As you can see, everything is quite simple. As a filling, again, you can use everything you want.
Hot baked rolls with cheese in the oven (video)
Having considered the basic principles of how to wrap rolls, how to make sushi, you can safely take on their preparation, treat your family and friends. At home in a circle of acquaintances, you probably can not bother with the theme of Japanese traditions and etiquette. But suddenly you have to either receive Japanese guests or visit yourself in the country of the Rising Sun, the tips that I will now outline will come in handy.
How to eat sushi rolls
To master the subtle science of using the delights of oriental cuisine is not easy. But since Japanese dishes are ubiquitous and no one has canceled the rules of good taste and respect for traditions, you need to know the permissible moments of eating a delicious dish.
A little about the rules of decency and etiquette.
Touching the food with chopsticks, you need to eat it. Do not forget to rub your hands with a warm, damp towel before starting the meal - this is a Japanese tradition. It can also be used during and after meals. Inequality between women and men in Asia persists. Men can eat sushi (rolls) with their hands, but women can’t. Rolls and sushi should not be bitten off. If the pieces are large, they are divided into smaller parts on a plate, then eat.
In Japanese institutions it is considered indecent to eat a lot of ginger. Although some Russians like its taste, ginger is not a snack. The role of ginger is to neutralize the taste of the previous roll in order to evaluate the next.
You can’t dip sushi with rice in soy sauce. The sauce only applies to the top ingredient (fish). Putting a roll in your mouth also needs fish on your tongue, rice up. Green tea is usually served for sushi, a warm alcoholic drink of the Japanese - sake. The use of sushi or rolls with beer became widespread. Where there is fish, there is a foaming favorite drink.
The special technique of eating with Japanese chopsticks (hashi), and even more complicated - thin Korean is not given immediately. You need to know the rules for using traditional oriental food appliances. Do not pick up the sticks in your hands and wave them, as if you were sitting at a drum kit. And even more so if you are in a restaurant, well, do not knock them on empty dishes, as if attracting the attention of waiters. In principle, now many Japanese eat sushi and rolls using a fork. But traditions exist and if you stick to them, it will not be worse.
Hope my recipes were helpful? Good luck and all the best!