Many are engaged in breeding budgies at home. These small and brightly colored birds are one of the most sought after pets. Every buyer and breeder should know how to correctly determine the sex of a parrot, since any unscrupulous seller can sell a female instead of a male or vice versa. In order not to be deceived, it is necessary to take into account some signs that are found only in boys or girls. They can also determine the age of the pet.
Budgerigars are small or medium sized birds that have a bright color. You can breed them if you keep them in pairs or small groups.
Birds breed very easily. Budgerigars are quite sociable among themselves.
Sex can be determined in small birds with a wax tool (this is the area where the upper part of the beak is fused with the head). To distinguish a boy from a girl, you must first observe the pets for a certain period of time. The color of the waxworm can change during the day. It is advisable to proceed to the recognition of sex in small birds when they turn 3-4 weeks from the moment of birth.
If the parrot is of the usual form, then in the boy it acquires a purple color. If the nestling is a mutational species (lutino, albino, steam), then the color will be purple or pink. Males have a uniformly colored wax, but various circles of a light blue hue around the nostrils are noticeable.
The recognition of the sex of a little girl also occurs by the color of this part of the beak. The female color is pink or purple, like the male, depending on her species, and the fringing around the nostrils is white.
It is much easier to determine the sex of the budgerigar, which reached the age of 3-4 months. Such difficulties as those of small pets, no longer. To determine the sex of an adult bird, you need to know the color of its wax.
If the girl this part became darker, then she grew. The color of the wax on females will always remain beige or brown. In rare cases, you may notice a blue glow, but the color around the nostrils will always be white. In the process of growing up in girls, a change in the hormonal background occurs, which contributes to the appearance of irregularities, growths on the wax. They can disappear for a time when the female forms her nest. The growths are able to reappear, it depends on the characteristics of the body.
An adult male during maturation acquires a bright blue color of the wax.
Sometimes you can observe changes in the state of this part of the beak. This indicates a pet disease. If the wax begins to darken, peel off, this indicates that the parrot must be shown to the doctor.
One of the simplest methods of gender recognition is as follows: if the bird began to lay eggs, it is definitely a female.
Another way to determine gender is to evaluate the shape of the pet’s head:
- the boy’s crown is flatter,
- the girl’s forehead is much sharper, the nape is a little flattened.
Sometimes the floor can be recognized by the color of the paws. Male parrots have a bluish color, females are pinkish or brown. It is impossible to determine the sex of a chick by the color of its paws, since all cubs are pink. In exceptional cases, adult male parrot boys have a pinkish tint.
Body shape can also help distinguish between males and females. Males are larger, stronger, heavier than females. Their head is much larger. The feather color is brighter than that of girls. But these factors depend on the health status of the pet.
The presence of dark purple spots on the cheeks indicates that this is a boy, since a girl can only have light purple ones. Sometimes, behavior can tell which sex a pet should be assigned to. You can distinguish a girl from a boy by the sounds they make. Females sing, but very quietly, and males are considered more talkative and sonorous.
Girls are much calmer. They are also considered more observant. Females can clean up their cages. They very often gnaw bars, unlike boys. This suggests that in the wild it is the females that are engaged in nesting.
If the sex of the pet could not be determined in any way, then it is necessary to contact specialists to conduct a DNA test.
When buying a pet, you need to consider itage, which can be determined by the following criteria:
- Plumage. If the bird has strips all over its head to the base of the beak, then it has not yet had its first molt. It happens at 4 months from birth, when white or yellow feathers change to stripes on the head. When buying a pet that has strips on the top of the head, it is necessary to clarify the age, since the parrot can still be breast-fed by the mother. If the bird is not 2 months from the moment of birth, feeding problems may occur.
- Eyes. At an early age, parrots have black eyes. During the process of growing up, the pupils still remain black, and the membranes around them become lighter, light gray or brown. This happens when the parrot is about 8 months old. If the pet has black eyes, then it is less than 4 months old, and if they acquire a dark gray color with black pupils, the age is about 4-8 months from the moment of birth. Light gray eyes will help indicate an adult bird.
- Voskovitsa. In small pets, it has a gray, bluish color. When the parrot turns one year old, the wax-wax acquires its permanent color, males - bright blue, females - brown, beige.
Why is it important to know what gender a parrot is
There are many factors to consider when buying a bird:
- To come up with a pet name, you need to know the gender. The female budgerigar looks strange under the name Gosh. Choosing a neutral nickname is difficult and uninteresting.
- For breeding chicks in the cell must be heterosexual individuals. Otherwise, you can not wait for the offspring. Therefore, it is better to immediately distinguish a boy's parrot from a girl and calmly wait for the addition of the family.
- Two females in the same space get along poorly, mutual aggression sometimes leads to death. Males are usually very friendly (until you plant a girlfriend).
- All undulations are able to imitate human speech. But the males will do it faster and more willingly. Thus, it is difficult to distinguish a female parrot from a male. To be completely fair, we must admit that trained females will speak clearly.
- Males wavy with friendliness and trust are people, bite only from an overabundance of feelings. Females do not like tenderness, touch, painfully peck during periods of a surge in hormones.
If you want a friendly bird, which can be taught to speak words in a short time, it is better to take a male. If you need a bird that will not bother with your society, but engage in your own person, then a female is better.
How to determine the sex of a budgie by wax
It is easier to distinguish a female from a male by a waxen - a supraclavicular formation, where the nostrils “hide”. The color that changes with age is important here.
To determine the gender of the bird, you must wait four weeks of age.
The male chick has the following wax:
- Pink with a purple tint
- Around the nostrils is a blue edging.
The female chick wax is as follows:
- The main color is blue, cast in pink and purple,
- whitish border of the nostrils.
All beaks are purple, it is impossible to distinguish the floor of a parrot from it. If the wax is pink, pay attention to the edging of the nostrils. In chicks, the color of the supraclaw formation may change during the day.
The color of the waxworm in young birds is unstable, an adult bird is already formed. By the age of three months, determining the sex of a budgie is easier, more true, and easier.
Signs of a female wax:
- The rim around the nostrils remains white, the main part is brown.
- The surface is rough.
- The color of the beak is useless to navigate, it changes with hormonal bursts.
- When nesting, a temporary outgrowth is possible.
Signs of a wax parrot in a male parrot:
- The color is blue, the surface is smooth.
- The color of the beak is unstable. At
- albino pinkish wax.
- There are blue blotches on the beak of mutant parrots.
If you remember that adult females always have a brown wax, then gender is easier to determine. First you need to distinguish the old parrot from the young one, only then resort to sex determination.
Using the genetic method, it’s possible to find out the sex of a parrot with one hundred percent probability when the parents are known whose characteristics are reflected in the chick phenotype. This pathway is effective for mutations related to the gender of the feathered: cinnamon, foreign, opaline and others.
If a cub of an opaline shade hatched from a normal pair of birds, it can only be a female. From a cinnamon dad, only a baby girl will be the same color. This technique is owned by few professional breeders, but it is pretty accurate.
For expensive DNA analysis, you need a parrot pen or a smear. It will help to distinguish the sex of parrots accurately. The procedure is carried out in order to learn the body of the bird deeper, at the genetic level. These are hereditary diseases that can be corrected with proper nutrition.
The only negative of this method is the high price. They usually go for DNA tests to large, expensive individuals with whom the future owner intends to spend their whole lives, and for this you need to know the whole “ins and outs” of a pet.
The female has a pointed head, the male has a flat head, the head is large. The shape of the head can confirm affiliation with a particular sex, but this is not necessary for the main symptom.
By nature, males are more colorful, attractive, bright. It can be seen when in the cage there are many heterosexual parrots. In girls, the color is calm, restrained. It is believed that males have pink legs, females - blue. This is an unconfirmed fact, there may be failures.
The females have a back with a hump and parting in the middle of the abdomen, the body is round, the legs are widely spaced. Males have even backs, the body is pulled up, legs are set close. The crest is narrow. These differences are noticeable when two heterosexual birds are nearby.
Males are more contact, long sing, tweet cheerfully, strive to care for the opposite sex, offering girls tidbits. If a pair of parrots is sitting in a cage, one of them is important in accepting offerings, the other is constantly turning and wants to please, there is no doubt - a boy boyfriend.
If a feathered bird begins to gnaw at the bars of the cage, it means he wants to build a nest, and this is necessarily a female. Instinct makes you prepare for motherhood.
Characteristic differences between females and males of budgies
When purchasing a parrot, some buyers do not even think about what gender the bird is, the main thing for them is to be healthy and active. Such people do not intend to breed offspring of budgerigars, therefore they do not care about this problem. Others choose a pet more thoroughly. Firstly, it is easier to teach male parrots to speak, and secondly, two boys in a cage will coexist quietly together, while females are non-surviving and can constantly arrange fights among themselves. It follows that the question of determining the sex of the budgerigar is relevant in such cases:
- when you need to pick up a couple of birds for breeding,
- if you need to teach a parrot to speak.
It is believed that the sex of the budgie can be determined by the shade of plumage. Undoubtedly, the males of parrots have a brighter plumage and loud voice, these qualities are necessary in order to attract the attention of females. In different breeds of parrots, sexual characteristics vary, for example, to know the sex of a budgie, just look at the color of its waxen, that is, the area of skin above the beak. It is much easier to determine this in an adult bird.
Determining the sex of budgies by wax
Upon reaching the age of one month, the chicks already independently leave the nest. They are formed, plumage is present completely. Chicks differ from adult individuals in wavy patterns from a waxwort. They also have completely black eyes and a dark speck on their beak that disappears after a couple of weeks. During this period, as a rule, breeders try to make their assumptions about gender. It is difficult to do this, since in females and males the color of the waxworm is similar to each other, has a light pink or dark purple hue. In addition, during the day, the color of this skin area in chicks may change, for example, depending on the mood.
At the age of 2-2.5 months, the parrots are already tame and begin to adapt to living conditions. Often people try to acquire birds at this age, since noticeable changes in their appearance already make it possible to notice gender differences. The fact is, as young females mature, white halos appear around the nostrils, while males do not have this distinguishing feature.
After reaching the age of three months, the chicks molt for the first time. The wavy feathers on the head disappear, and a denser and brighter plumage begins to form. From this moment on, the budding period begins for budgies and the color of the waxwort changes in parallel. In males, it becomes bright blue, and in females - beige or light brown (may remain unchanged light blue).
The older the bird becomes, the more intense the shade of its waxen. This is due to hormonal changes in the body. So, the adult female budgerigar has a brown wax. In addition to these, other changes are occurring. For example, in females, this piece of skin above the beak is often hilly and rough to the touch, sometimes even with a small growth that disappears on its own after a nesting period.
When determining the sex of a parrot, it should be borne in mind that during the illness the color of the adult bird’s wax can change significantly, in many cases it becomes dark red. Everything is much simpler with parrots lutino and albino. The waxwings of males remain bright pink, and in females the hue changes, as in other birds of this species. Very rarely, and closer to old age, the albino of the male albino is covered with blue spots.
If the bird is not in the mood, then the shade of this indicator can also change. For example, when a female is very excited, then her wax wax becomes similar in color to that of a male. In males, with excitement or malaise, the nibble site can also change and look like a female wax.
Genetic determination method
Sometimes budgerigar chicks can be divided by gender immediately after they hatch from eggs. This can be done by the phenotype of young animals, that is, by studying the totality of the biological properties and attributes of the bird organism. When determining the sex of parrots, this method is effective, since the number of chromosomes varies between females and male budgerigars. Males hatch with a double set, and females with a single set. The genetic method also allows you to determine the genetics of the parents of the chick. For example, find out whose feather color the chick inherited.
Other methods for determining the sex of budgies
There are additional ways to determine gender:
- Especially in cases where the lovers are engaged in breeding these birds for sale, they try to divide the young offspring by sex as early as possible. Usually, without waiting for the chicks to mature, the breeders do a DNA test. Its essence is as follows: in a special laboratory, a feather is taken from a parrot for research, or a smear is obtained from the hind gut to establish sex chromosomes located in the cell nucleus. This method, as a rule, is used extremely rarely due to the high cost of research. Sometimes DNA analysis is more expensive than the parrot itself.
- If you have purchased a pair of parrots, but you cannot independently determine which of them is a boy and which is a girl, MirCovetov recommends watching your birds. The fact is that at the moment of flirting with the female, the male behaves very actively. In addition, males are able to imitate sexual intercourse, that is, when a bird jumps on a partner and touches its beak in the back of the head. The reliability of such a determination of the sex of parrots is quite high, and the older the bird, the higher the chances.
- There is another not quite accurate, but often used method, which allows you to find out what gender the budgerigar is. You can do this by looking at the shape of the bird’s head. In females, as a rule, the back of the head is a little flat and sharp forehead. The crown of the male is flattened and visually larger in size than the female.
- Alternatively, another observation will help to suggest the sex of the parrot - a predisposition to aggression. Females often bite the owner’s hands, and it is very painful and sometimes blood. At the same time, they behave more calmly. Самцы же хоть и могут вести себя активно, но покусывают не больно.
- И, естественно, самым достоверным способом определения пола является яйценоскость. Если попугай снес яйцо – значит, это точно сделала самка.
Понаблюдайте за своим попугаем или парой, и вы заметите разницу. Самочки издают более короткие и негромкие звуки. Попав в новую клетку или другую обстановку, самка пытается навести свой порядок. She dumps excess objects to the bottom of the cage, moves the feeder and so on. Usually females are more difficult to teach to speak, they are also not inclined to repeat various sounds. All of this is much easier to learn males of budgies.
The above methods of self-diagnosis are reliable and accurate. They will help you to know exactly the gender of your feathered pet at the very early stage of its development, so that the final result of the study is not unexpected for you.
Male wavers are more easily taught sound imitation, they like it. They show curiosity and rejoice when they manage to pronounce the word correctly. Girls are more passive. They can also be trained, but patience is needed.
Do not be upset if you bought a pet of the wrong sex, which was originally desired. In any case, the feathered one will be a devoted and cheerful friend, if he is well fed, paid attention to him, taught tricks and words. It is much more important to distinguish a young parrot from an adult, since the life expectancy in the family, food and care depend on this.
Marina, 23 years old
I once had a couple of parrots, and I can say that the method of determining by behavior does not work. We were sure that the funny twitter was a boy, and they even called him Boska. He constantly molested the second parrot, which we mistook for a girl. He tried to comb his feathers and even feed him. As a result, our Boska laid an egg. We were in shock. But the couple lived together for a long time, until Bosya accidentally flew out the window.
Irina, 39 years old
In my opinion, it is difficult to distinguish the boy’s parrots from the girl by external signs until they are at least six months old. The color of the wax can be different. I don’t know what this is connected with, but everything was simple in my childhood: a parrot is round like a ball, it’s a girl, if thin and nimble, then a boy. Recently bought a wavy daughter. And I see that the boy is fat and clumsy. True, the words have already begun to repeat. Maybe feeds were different before?